Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » General Discussion » Skype/MSN Live Messenger Merge Wierdness

Skype/MSN Live Messenger Merge Wierdness

#1 2012-12-10 01:43:39
Skype/MSN Live Messenger Merge Wierdness
MrSka

GDay carbonize, because I think you are the only one left reading these forums. smile Anyway... So you may or may not have heard of Micrsofts plan to drop the MSN Live Messenger product, merging it with Skype. Which makes sense, so anyway I went through an after a lot of fiddling I got my msn account and skype account merged and working in skype. Shortly after I turned skype off and fired up digsby an lo and behold I was receiving offline messages in digsby from skype contacts.

Just thought it was worth mentioning here, migh tbe a work-around for those wanting skype suppor for digsby, which I am afraid will never be realised.

One last thing, since skype also supports facebook chat, it seems I am only left with the following on Digsby:

1. ICQ
2. Twitter
3. GTalk
4. Digsby's Website Widget

Unfortunately out of those four, only twitter is really used, the other three are just there because I had accounts. So this might spell the end of days for my personal use of digsby, skype has seemingly offered the one app that covers the three main IM communication modes for myself, those being skype, facebook and msn.

There was much talk about digsby going open source, but no action, which is a damn shame. No other program comes close to the functionality of digsby, if only it wasnt left by the roadside........

#2 2012-12-17 12:25:54
Re: Skype/MSN Live Messenger Merge Wierdness
R0tten

Thanks very much for this. When you setup skype, could you still use the MSN client just fine?

I use a bunch of accounts. Gtalk, hotmail, linkedin, icq etc. so moving to Skype would not be fun. It would be nice if it worked in Digsby. Gtalk/Facebook is the top for me.

#3 2012-12-17 14:55:22
carbonize
Super Power User

I use pretty much every protocol just because I have opened them over the years. Don't think I have any friends still using ICQ and only one Mac user on AIM. I use Yahoo! as I used to frequent Yahoo! chat rooms (R.I.P.) and MSN because a lot of people use it. I only have a Skype account as I wanted to test the SkypeKit implementation in Trillian and I only have a Twitter account as I was testing Digsby's Twitter fix from yonks ago.

What you describe is good for now but come March MSN network will be disabled totally. I hate the Skype program as it is ugly and a resource hog.

I love Digsby's email handling and find it cleaner and easier to use than Trillian but Trillian has a lot more features and it's protocols are more stable. Wish Digsby hadn't been kicked to the kerb because of the Tagged buy out but that appears to be exactly what has happened. I personally think Tagged are missing a golden opportunity by not just having Digsby become a Tagged product and offer Tagged integration. Not that I use Tagged.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#4 2012-12-18 05:16:23
DoctorPolski

I've never actually come accross Tagged 'in the wild' and don't know anybody who uses it. Maybe it's just not big in the UK but why would anyone ignore an existing userbase? Even if they only maintained Digsby to generate awareness of what they really care about then it would surely be worth the time / effort / money. Why not just brand it all up, even change the name but it seems like a golden egg that they don't realise they have?

#5 2012-12-18 11:07:48
carbonize
Super Power User

Who knows what Tagged were thinking. I'm sure buying the Digsby team would of cost them more than just hiring programmers the normal way.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#6 2012-12-25 17:48:13
OilersFan05

So once the merger happens, I won't be able to use Digsby to chat with my MSN friends that move to Skype? I really like Digsby and have used it as my only IM client for a few years now

#7 2012-12-26 13:44:55
carbonize
Super Power User

If you're on the latest alpha you can't use the Digsby to chat with anyone on MSN period.

C a r b o n i z e

#8 2013-01-15 02:52:20
bily

I use pretty much every protocol

#9 2013-01-15 16:36:40
toldi

I read that WLM will still be available in mainland China. How is that possible, do they use different protocol? Or will it depend on the IP adress? I thought there might be a way how to bypass it..

#10 2013-02-16 07:53:00
rud0133

a funny thing happened yesterday. A friend sent an IM from her skype to my msn-on-digsby. (I have merged msn and skype accounts) The message popped up in my digsby - skype wasn't running. But I couldn't reply. Is that normal?

I wish I could continue using just one client for all IM services. Seems that soon I'll have to run both disby and skype to be available to all my contacts sad

Pages: 1 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved