Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Technical Support » Twitter: Failed to Connect

Twitter: Failed to Connect

#1 2013-06-12 08:03:04
Twitter: Failed to Connect
Dronak

Since I reboot my computer yesterday, Digsby fails to connect to Twitter.  I have no idea why, but it doesn't appear to be an issue on Twitter's side since I can still access it from my web browser and other things (e.g., smartphone app).  Exiting and restarting Digsby did not help, and rebooting my computer did not help.  From a Twitter post I made, I know that at least one other person is having the same issue.  I just submitted a bug report, but thought I'd post here, too.  Does anyone know what the problem is here and when it will be fixed?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

#2 2013-06-12 08:12:57
Re: Twitter: Failed to Connect
Sylvan012

I'm getting the same problem.

Digsby cannot connect to any of my Twitter accounts.

Is anyone with Digsby actually working, at all, on this tool any more? Or is this strictly in the hands of enthusiasts and developers, now?

Yours,
Sylvan

#3 2013-06-12 10:42:13
zftcg

It appears to have something to do with Twitter finally getting rid of API v1 (https://dev.twitter.com/blog/api-v1-is-retired). So in that sense it’s not Digsby’s fault (Trillian is having the same problem.) Of course, Trillian has already tweeted that they’re aware of the issue and are working on a fix. With the lights all but off at Digsby, will they ever get around to addressing it?

#4 2013-06-12 10:57:06
petervanwesten

I think I will have to drop Digsby after all.
The twitter support was one of the things keeping me stuck with Digsby.Now that that is out of the window too (together with all the other unfixed issues), it is time to say goodbye.
A real shame the devs didn't keep the passion to keep Digsby alive. They just let it die off.

#5 2013-06-13 07:45:48
cybermancer

s***. Looks like that's it for me, then, unless some hero swoops in like that one fellow did with the gmail updater.

#6 2013-06-13 08:40:01
Dronak

Oh yeah, I do remember reading something in the past about Twitter changing APIs.  I suppose that could be the problem here.  But I agree with some of the previous comments about how Digsby has practically been abandoned since it was acquired by Tagged.  It's a shame.  I've tried some other similar clients, and still prefer Digsby.  But if the developers can't or won't keep it updated, it's just going to get worse and worse.  Maybe it is time to switch.  I recently ordered a new computer, so maybe that'll be my timeline -- if Digsby isn't working correctly by the time it comes in a few weeks, I'll switch to a program that does.

#7 2013-06-13 09:52:11
Sylvan012

Dronak wrote:

I recently ordered a new computer, so maybe that'll be my timeline -- if Digsby isn't working correctly by the time it comes in a few weeks, I'll switch to a program that does.

Do you know of any other IM client that handles:

* Multiple Twitter Accounts,
     * Yahoo IM
     * AOL IM
     * Google IM
     * Gmail
     * Yahoo Mail

...all threaded, together, like Digsby?

Yours,
Sylvan012

#8 2013-06-13 13:25:51
carbonize
Super Power User

Nope, we're pretty much screwed. Pidgin hinted at a new version of Pidgin that would be like Digsby and Trillian but years later and nothing. Miranda is the only other alternative and not sure it does Facebook or Twitter. Instantbird showed promise but seems to have died.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#9 2013-06-13 14:19:28
Dronak

I guess it depends on what you need.  From that list above, I could get by with just multiple Twitter accounts and Gmail.  I almost never IM anyone anymore these days, and hardly ever use my non-Gmail accounts.  If I could read Twitter and get new Gmail notifications from another program, that should meet the majority of my needs, but Facebook notifications would be good to have, too.  While I'd prefer that Digsby get fixed and updated, it might be time to look for alternatives -- there might be some that work well for me and what I do/need.

#10 2013-06-13 15:11:55
cybermancer

My problem is finding a twitter client that works like Digsby's did: give me pop-up notifications that I could choose the location for; let me scroll through those notifications with the mouse wheel, and open a link to that tweet (or an included URL) by clicking on it; or just close the whole pile with a right-click.

Trillian came close the last time I tried it, though it could only navigate notifications with a pair of really tiny click buttons, and I loathe just about everything else about the program. Everything else I've tried over the last few days is either non-functional thanks to the API change, or expects you to have it open as a full-size application.

#11 2013-06-13 17:41:02
toldi

Well I still hope that someone is going to fix it... How about making a list of users each willing to donate a small amount of money to person who can fix this bug.. or any other bug. Wouldnt that be a motivation? I'm sure there must be plenty of people able to fix this

Last edited by toldi (2013-06-13 17:41:22)

#12 2013-06-14 03:59:18
carbonize
Super Power User

I suspect this may get fixed before Trillian does. Starting to look like Trillian is going the way of Digsby neutral

They have yet to release an update to fix the Twitter auth change but are happy to publish details of their own Astra protocol in an apparent expectation that others will adopt it.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#13 2013-06-14 10:34:06
zftcg

FYI, as of today Facebook and LinkedIn don't seem to be working either. FB has always been spotty, but this is the first time LI has had problems. So basically, it's just an IM program at this point.

toldi, I would totally contribute to anyone willing to make an open-source fix.

#14 2013-06-14 11:51:35
orayzio

LinkedIn is working fine for me with a new item in my feed just a few minutes ago. Might have been just a temporary problem.

#15 2013-06-14 15:11:05
Sylvan012

Yeah, I absolutely need IM and email and multiple Twitter accounts. I can get by without Facebook but the others are crucial.

#16 2013-06-15 05:31:57
joshychrist

Trillian has a twitter fix right now.

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/win … -8-updates

go there and look for where it says

"Sorry for the delay. Here is a build you can try out to see if it fixes the twitter issue (it should also fix twitter lists). Let me know any issues you have. We wont be auto-updating people to this until we make sure it works properly:

https://www.ceruleanstudios.com/tmp/tri … 3.0.16.exe

Thanks and again sorry for the delay,

-Kevin"

#17 2013-06-15 08:05:27
carbonize
Super Power User

So nothing about it in their forums or on their blog just a link buried in the help discussions. Yeah that's good customer service.

C a r b o n i z e

#18 2013-06-15 08:27:32
joshychrist

Just saying carbonize, they did say "We wont be auto-updating people to this until we make sure it works properly" So it is certainly better than nothing.

But as it stands trillian is one up on digsby, because of their fix of twitter. Both have the duplicate message problem with facebook, unless there was an update with digsby I never got. I can certainly live without twitter for a while if there was because I much prefer the way digsby looks and acts.

#19 2013-06-18 11:20:46
petervanwesten

I searched for a replacement of Digsby, but they all pretty much suck. I really don't like Trillian. And the rest are either very limited or no longer supported (like Digsby sad )

Anyway, I have now opted for a separate twitter client. The best I have found is Janetter: http://janetter.net/
And the nice thing about it is that you can set it to 'Newest tweets at bottom", like we are used to with Digsby.
I recommend the theme: "Metal" or "Simplified (Fixed)".
To prevent the Mentions and DMs to create columns (instead of working like tabs), set the min-width in the advanced settings to something like 800px

So I still use Digsby now for my messenger accounts (GTalk, Facebook, Jabber, etc). And use it for my GMail notifications. IMO there is still nothing out there that comes close to the usability of Digsby. So I'll take the bugs for granted for now...

Last edited by petervanwesten (2013-06-18 11:32:49)

#20 2013-06-18 12:06:35
petervanwesten

PS: Just discovered that the templates for Janetter use html and css. So with a little css knowledge you can change the way it looks completely to your liking smile

Pages: 1 2 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved