Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Technical Support » Disable Digsby Search

Disable Digsby Search

#1 2008-02-20 23:07:37
Disable Digsby Search
awkm

Hi,

I uninstalled digsby but it's still changing my homepage to the digsby search page.  How do I disable this?

thanks

#2 2008-02-20 23:17:55
Re: Disable Digsby Search
Zero3K

Are you sure you got the right program? I installed it and nothing was changed regarding the search engine that Internet Explorer uses.

EDIT: Now I see what you mean (the "digsby search page" is at http://search.digsby.com). Still, it didn't change it.

Last edited by Zero3K (2008-02-20 23:20:24)

#3 2008-02-20 23:21:16
awkm

not the search engine... my start up page, my homepage.  i uninstalled digsby and it still keeps changing my homepage to http://search.digsby.com/

i'm trying to run ad-aware and hijack this! to see if i can find any suspicious activity.  this is simply annoying.

#4 2008-02-21 07:00:12
MrPandaInc

Have you tried editing your homepage setting in whatever browser you use?

FIREFOX:

TOOLS -> OPTIONS - Then edit from there

INTERNET EXPLORER:

1. Select "Tools," then "Internet Options."
2. Click on the "General" tab.
3. Under "Home page," type http://www.google.com/ in the "Address" field.
4. Click "OK."

Dont know if this is what you were asking.

#5 2008-02-21 07:04:21
eia
Super Power User

awkm wrote:

i uninstalled digsby and it still keeps changing my homepage to http://search.digsby.com/

If what you say here is correct, that even after you've uninstalled digsby it still keeps _changing_ it back to digsby search after you've tried to set it to something different, that is very alarming! Let's hope this was not intended by the dgsby team (sure wouldn't think so!).

... and now for something completely different

The digsby Wishlist | digsby themes | Community maintained wiki
#6 2008-02-21 12:42:10
awkm

MrPandaInc wrote:

Have you tried editing your homepage setting in whatever browser you use?

FIREFOX:

TOOLS -> OPTIONS - Then edit from there

INTERNET EXPLORER:

1. Select "Tools," then "Internet Options."
2. Click on the "General" tab.
3. Under "Home page," type http://www.google.com/ in the "Address" field.
4. Click "OK."

Dont know if this is what you were asking.

that's quite obvious and i've tried that.

i've been speaking to someone on the digsby team about this and he said it only changes the homepage once during installation.  mine keeps changing back whenever i change the homepage.

i open the browser, it goes to the homepage i specific.  then when i close all instances of firefox, it resets back to digsby search.  it's as if something is on my computer detecting firefox and changing it to digsby.

i also found a comment about someone having his firefox hijacked as well.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2008/02/12944/

posted by Vinny "I like the app. I hate that Digby hijacked my homepage in Firefox, but otherwise I’m feeling good about it."

#7 2008-02-21 13:16:04
mike
Digsby Developer

whoa!

this is entirely my fault. We played around with changing the homepage in firefox (for that option in the installer), and the only way we found to do it was by adding a 'user.js' file in your firefox profile folder. This file isn't changeable via firefox, and overrides things in the firefox 'normal' preferences. I've put up a new installer.

Here are instructions on how to stop this:
First, find the Application Data folder for Firefox.
On WinXP/2K the default location for this is:

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

On Vista:

Code:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\

Once you've got that path, open Profiles, and in there should be at least one folder (more if you use various profiles). In each of these folders is a "prefs.js" file. This is the normal FFX preferences file, that *is* edited while you're using Firefox.

What you're looking for is a "user.js" file. This is a set of overrides for a user to set that will always take precedent over prefs.js. If you have this file, open it and look for a line something like this:

Code:

user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://search.digsby.com");

Delete it, and save the file. Restart Firefox, and you should be all set.

Please, please, please...if you experience any trouble with this, e-mail or send an IM to mike@digsby.com or steve@digsby.com (for IM use Jabber/GoogleTalk). Digsby is NOT spyware/malware. We're proud of what we've made and don't want to be associated with that sort of thing.

Again, my personal apologies- I thought I removed this after we realized the repurcussions of it.

Last edited by mike (2008-02-21 13:44:53)

#8 2008-02-21 13:22:14
awkm

i knew there was a logical explanation to this.  no worries, i'll be waiting for your post though.

#9 2008-02-21 13:57:23
mike
Digsby Developer

Bumping this thread after I edited my post ;-)

#10 2008-02-21 15:27:04
awkm

sweet, works, tyty

#11 2008-02-21 17:09:32
McoreD
Power User

Updated the Wiki with the updated information from mike!

http://wiki.digsbies.org/index.php/TS000001

#12 2008-02-22 10:01:15
mike
Digsby Developer

If for some reason you decide to edit 'pref.js', be sure to do it while Firefox is closed, or your changes will be lost when you close FFX (because it re-writes that file with the information it has stored in memory).

pref.js is the file where normal FFX prefs are stored- so you can edit them from within FFX using normal means (options dialog, about:config, various menu options and checkboxes). You shouldn't have to edit pref.js by hand.

#13 2008-05-22 08:58:37
csteinle

I've got this exact same problem and it's completely doing my head in. I can't find a file called user.js on my system anywhere, nor has any file in my Firefox profile dir got an entry for search.digsby.com after I exit FF having re-set my homepage. However, if I start it up again it's back to search.digsby.com. Please give me my homepage back!

#14 2008-05-22 09:41:42
csteinle

Well, it actually appears to be Google Browser Sync that's causing this. Which is odd, as the other PC I sync with is not doing this.

Edit: Or not. Just uninstalled Browser Sync and it's STILL happening. argh

Last edited by csteinle (2008-05-22 10:06:14)

#15 2008-05-22 10:19:39
mike
Digsby Developer

Apparently there are some other extensions that can lock your preferences. One that I'm aware of is SwitchProxy. Some security software companies (i.e., Norton, McAfee) also offer programs with this 'feature' as well.

#16 2008-05-22 16:06:09
joel
Super Power User

I haven't had this problem at all because each time I reinstall digsby I uncheck the option.

#17 2008-06-11 15:39:15
kazuma

So, anyone has solved the problem?
I did check that box by mistake and now I'm stucked with this annoying bug. No way to remove that (horrible) page.

I looked for the user.js but didn't found it. I have a proxy plug in, but I can't immagine disinstalling this just because of this problem.

Che vergogna!

Kazuma

#18 2008-06-11 15:50:58
mike
Digsby Developer

Kazuma - you have to disable the plugin in order to change your preferences, then you can re-enable it. For some reason it locks the preferences.

Starting firefox in safe mode might also be sufficient. I haven't tried, but it doesn't happen to me so I wouldn't really be able to tell ;-p

Last edited by mike (2008-06-11 16:01:07)

#19 2008-06-12 08:03:48
kazuma

NO WAY!

I have disabled the plug-in, started in safe mode but the page remains there.

If you REALLY want your software to be considered NOT malware/spyware you should put the option of taking that (graphically horrible) page out in the "options" of your program. The fact that you leave it there is because you are sorta monitoring the users of that piece of software.

For now I have added "search.digsby.com" in my hosts file to be redirected to the REAL google page.

Varemente deluso.

Kazuma

#20 2008-06-12 09:44:24
mike
Digsby Developer

after you start in safe mode and disable the plug-in you have to set your homepage via the preferences. in safe-mode there is nothing to get in the way of 'locking' the prefs so you can change them freely.

if your copy of Firefox can't change its own preferences, Digsby can hardly be blamed for that.

Pages: 1 2 3 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved