Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Customizing » Put customizations in your user directory

Put customizations in your user directory

#21 2009-05-29 10:41:28
Re: Put customizations in your user directory
schester99

Okay thanks I think I understand. Initially I might want to copy the code from default file, then edit the prefs file to change certain features. Correct?

Curious if I have to copy my customizations into the program files whenever I add something new? Or will the program load skins/emoticons/sounds/MessageStyles from the user folder automatically when I loggon?

#22 2009-05-29 10:59:31
mike
Digsby Developer

schester99 wrote:

Okay thanks I think I understand. Initially I might want to copy the code from default file, then edit the prefs file to change certain features. Correct?

again, copying the whole file isn't really desired, but if you need something to use as a guide i guess it isn't too bad.

schester99 wrote:

Curious if I have to copy my customizations into the program files whenever I add something new? Or will the program load skins/emoticons/sounds/MessageStyles from the user folder automatically when I loggon?

the whole point of this is to leave the program files directory alone, and only put modifications in your user folder. so it scans the user folders for stuff when you login (more correctly, as the program loads).

#23 2009-06-26 22:24:54
froghunter

Here you go Windows 7 people (and yes, after reading the first post carefully, this is exactly the same file structure as Vista).

1) Download the skins file
2) unzip folder
3) place in "C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Digsby\skins"
      *you will probably need to make a skins folder to put the skins in
4) In the case of certain skins, like the vista skin, make sure to move the .yaml file (see previous post in this thread about it being "...\skins\BLAH_SKIN\blah_skin.yaml

This works, and haven't tried for conversations.

Last edited by froghunter (2009-06-26 22:25:36)

#24 2009-08-13 22:21:17
ShadowTiger

Hi,

I've done as instructed and can see the skins and Message Styles but it's ignoring the sound files I put in sounds.

Do I need to create a folder for the sounds (like ...\sounds\mysounds\sounds.yaml) or something?

Thanks,
Peter

#25 2009-09-04 17:48:11
ShadowTiger

[Bump] Hi? Can anyone help me with my question/problem regarding sounds?

Thanks,
Peter

#26 2009-09-04 18:09:39
Aaron
Digsby Developer

Bump this again Tuesday afternoon, I'm not sure, Mike will know but he's out for the holiday this weekend.

I'm the one that draws pretty pictures on the screen! (AKA a GUI Dev)
Digsbies.org is currently semi-functional, hopefully it will rise again! Stay tuned!
Talk to us on IRC: #digsby on irc.freenode.org
I has a twitter: @Brok3n_Halo
#27 2009-09-30 16:23:56
grahamft

mike wrote:

...The lookup priority in all cases is: user folder, all users folder, digsby application folder...

If we are ever going to have a chance of making Digsby truly portable, in accordance with this thread discussion: http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?id=114&p=1 the location of the prefs.yaml file is potentially critical.  So, what do you mean by the "digsby application folder"?  I see you say that we shouldn't be putting the prefs.yaml file in the Program Files folder, or whatever that would be in a portable environment, so, where should it go where Digsby will look for it?

We need to have the ability to use the prefs.yaml file to relocate the Digsby Windows appdata folders to the portable drive and it is suggested that this may be able to be one with the defaults.yaml, now the prefs.yaml file.

#28 2009-11-24 11:14:26
Pittepatt

Hi, I'm on version 24920 and windows XP, if this matters.

I have default installation and that puts the skin folder inside the program files/digby folder. I have tried to move the skins folder to document and settings/... But then it do not work. I have downloaded a couple of themes and put them inside default folder and one of them works the other don't.

Besides, upon default install there was a theme called "Jeffrey" which is not seen at all, using either location of skin folder.

#29 2010-07-27 14:53:32
michaelam

Changing settings works for me on windows 7, but skins and sounds work only if in Program file/digsby folders...thanks

#30 2010-11-14 21:44:22
jseger9000

I'm a little lost. What exactly do I need to enter in prefs.yaml to change sounds?

Looking through defaults.yaml as a template, there was no mention of which sounds to use. In the sounds folder, there is a sounds.yaml. Do I need to put a sounds.yaml in the roaming\digsby\sounds folder?

And why can't we just change sounds/skins/etc from within Digsby? That's my one major gripe with this otherwise exceptional program.

Last edited by jseger9000 (2010-11-14 21:55:49)

#31 2011-04-05 09:09:04
Mythril

Urgh!

After struggling with Digsby not reading my prefs.yaml, I finally found out that the reason was that I've set my Notepad++ to store files in UTF-8 as default! I had to convert prefs.yaml to ANSI format to get it to work.

So yeah, make sure you don't use UTF-8 for your prefs.yaml file. tongue (I probably should disable that option, I guess a lot of programs might not like UTF-8 in their configuration files. Only needed it for one program so far.)

#32 2011-04-05 09:24:23
mike
Digsby Developer

I was able to load unicode data stored as UTF-8 without any issues - are you sure the yaml syntax was correct?

You can test it here if you'd like: http://yaml-online-parser.appspot.com/

#33 2011-04-05 20:10:24
kaot
Super Power User

two reasons come to mind: notepad++ does different amount of spaces for a tab than other programs, and it has two UTF8 modes: with and without BOM. maybe one of these has something to do with it.

#34 2011-04-11 02:41:41
Mythril

Yeah, probably something with BOM, I seem to recall that opening my Notepad++ UTF-8 files in certain other programs would give one or two garbage characters in the beginning of the file.

Pages: 1 2 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved