Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby

Add-ons

#21 2008-07-01 13:36:16
Re: Add-ons
JaySicks

Dave wrote:

I'm sure this is high up on their list, but remember that Digsby is still beta.  It'd be bad practice to release a plugin framework that had to change constantly for the internal updates to the core application.  Plugins would be compatible with only a certain range of builds, and would need to be updated and re-released every time a core change was made.

yes it's true, but i think it has to be integrated before adding new protocols...
i mean it would be great, if AIM, ICQ, GTalk, MSN, MySpace - and other "default" IMs and community sites - would be just a plugin for digsby, so you only need to install, if you use it...

#22 2008-07-01 13:44:06
Dave
Super Power User

JaySicks wrote:

Dave wrote:

I'm sure this is high up on their list, but remember that Digsby is still beta.  It'd be bad practice to release a plugin framework that had to change constantly for the internal updates to the core application.  Plugins would be compatible with only a certain range of builds, and would need to be updated and re-released every time a core change was made.

yes it's true, but i think it has to be integrated before adding new protocols...
i mean it would be great, if AIM, ICQ, GTalk, MSN, MySpace - and other "default" IMs and community sites - would be just a plugin for digsby, so you only need to install, if you use it...

Trillian did it this way, and I never saw the point.  It was nice that you could remove or just update a single DLL to fix say, a WLM problem... but Digsby can do that as well, it just isn't exposed as a plugin, and it can't be removed.  There isn't much of a point to removing a protocol that you don't use, just to save 200KB of disk space.  I would imagine support for extending to new protocols via plugin would be something that makes sense.

#23 2008-07-27 14:54:59
MozillaSnarls

OK, it seems it'll take some more time until this feature will be ready sad So are developers reading this and maybe they could think about adding Snarl-support (as mentioned some posts ago) directly into Digsby (which would be quite cool wink). I would offer as much as help as needed but I can promise that it would be quite easy from the API of Snarl smile

#24 2008-07-29 04:52:17
Yoshey
Power User

MozillaSnarls wrote:

OK, it seems it'll take some more time until this feature will be ready sad So are developers reading this and maybe they could think about adding Snarl-support (as mentioned some posts ago) directly into Digsby (which would be quite cool wink). I would offer as much as help as needed but I can promise that it would be quite easy from the API of Snarl smile

I would very much like to see snarl integration with Digsby. It would not only help Digsby by sharing Snarl's exposure with Digsby but would also help Snarl by sharing Digsbys exposure with Snarl. If you see what I mean, plus users get more global and controllable notifications. +1111111

yoshagogo@googlemail.com - yoshagogo
- msn live digsby clone skin -
#25 2008-07-29 18:04:19
philipp_grunwald
Power User

MozillaSnarls & Yoshey, I'm not sure, but as digsby does have extensive notification features, for what reason should it support Snarl?

In use: digsby build 76, r26321
#26 2008-07-29 18:09:04
mike
Digsby Developer

Yoshey wrote:

users get more global and controllable notifications.

#27 2008-07-30 04:17:12
Yoshey
Power User

Yup, and while it may sacrifice the text box to reply to a message in-notification thats a sacrifice I'd be willing to make to have global notifications that a) look all the same b) don't (visually) go over each other because different applications are churning out notifications (if you see what I mean).
Of course some people wouldn't be willing to get rid of the in-notification reply box which is why it would be an option smile

yoshagogo@googlemail.com - yoshagogo
- msn live digsby clone skin -
#28 2008-07-30 14:00:27
MozillaSnarls

As I am a Mac user I have such an unified notification system (Growl) there already and it is as Yoshey describes - before that every single application started to reinvent the wheel for notifications and now I have one single point on my Mac where I can define which application should have which alert enabled and which style it should use.

An example from Snarl that I like very much are the notifications from Pidgin (I wrote the plugin there wink) where I now defined for me that a signing on buddy is displayed with a green notification while a signing off buddy has a red one - like a traffic light.

#29 2008-08-04 13:30:48
philipp_grunwald
Power User

Ok, thanks for your explanation, although I do not have any problem with this, I think it is a great idea and an issue you are shaking your heads about with reason!!

I'd also like to see more standard protocols and no more "reinventing the wheel" in terms of clones, endless web2.0 doubles and so on...

In use: digsby build 76, r26321
#30 2008-08-23 03:23:20
MozillaSnarls

There is now an own thread dedicated to Snarl I just saw - so let's disucss Snarl there now: http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2049

#31 2008-10-16 16:12:52
burstabitfrank

Maybe for security purposes, your addon architecture could be similar to apple's appstore where Apple approves every app to run on their iphone.

This way you could protect digsby and potentially become more of an enterprise application.  I know I would feel better if my company used Digsby and each addon was verified 'safe' by dotSyntax.

To take it one step further, maybe a corporate administrator could control the types of addons that digsby would allow for an enterprise installation.  You could even charge for the enterprise version.

Frank Ouimette, President
Burstabit Media

#32 2009-11-11 14:55:15
gpsaraf

How about sharing the API only with carefully approved projects? I love Digsby! And like me, many other developers would be willing to contribute their expertise towards approved plugin projects. The world's changing: knowledge seeps in only when its shared.

#33 2010-04-07 12:37:26
spl136

bump!

#34 2013-01-09 17:16:45
flattery

Almost 5 years since this thread started and it seems it isn't going anywhere?

Number one priority... add this and let everyone else do the rest of the work.

#35 2013-01-10 06:10:07
carbonize
Super Power User

flattery wrote:

Almost 5 years since this thread started and it seems it isn't going anywhere?

Number one priority... add this and let everyone else do the rest of the work.

Digsby is now open source so everyone else is doing the work.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#36 2013-01-10 08:35:10
toldi

carbonize, do you think Digsby has any future? or hope? it got open source and nothing is happening. Is there any community "working" on Digsby? Did it go open source too late and nobody cares anymore?

#37 2013-01-11 04:54:33
carbonize
Super Power User

Well the last alpha update was a month or so ago and it totally broke MSN/WLM IM capability and still hasn't been fixed. Also if you look at the code repository there's nothing happened in months so I'd go with the dead unfortunately. Which is a shame as Digsby had promise and I prefer the way Digsby does email to that of the only alternative, Trillian.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
Pages: 1 2 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved