Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Feature Requests » Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback

Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback

#1 2008-02-29 13:00:53
Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback
steve
Digsby Developer

We want to understand how you would like the Skype implementation to work.

Option 1 - We use the Skype API to give you very extensive Skype support but you need to have Skype running in the background to use it.  It will not work without Skype installed and running on your system

Option 2 - We reverse engineer the Skype protocol and give you access to your contact list, profiles, and text chat.  You don't need skype installed on the system at all but you will have no access to voice features (these are very difficult to implement)

We have not looked at the Skype API closely yet and this is the first brainstorm of how such an implementation will look.  Please leave comments about which option you prefer or if you have experience or knowledge about developing either of the above please share your experience and advice.

#2 2008-02-29 13:32:28
Re: Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback
youmon

My thoughts:

Option 1: What's the point?  I use Digsby to try to get rid of running processes.

Option 2: Good start.  If you add some way for Digsby to show another Skype user that you are online for calls, see that a call has been made to you and then automatically start Skype for Skype to take the call, that would be great.  I will also settle for someone saying via Skype chat; let's skype and in the skype chat window, there is a button to start Skype.

#3 2008-02-29 13:39:05
mitcoes

I would like a mixed.
Where I can see as a chat tool, better if I can chat with my friends, and if we decide to start a voice or video conversation the program  would call skype app and start it.

#4 2008-02-29 13:55:39
craigbackus

I don't use Skype for any voice chat, just IM, so focusing on the text aspects is all I'm interested in.  I would also be in favor of eliminating any extra processes, but don't know how complex it would be reverse engineer it. 

As long as I could rely on one IM account for everything, I would prefer to eliminate as many unnecessary processes as possible, but wouldn't be that worried about it as I'm already running both digsby and Skype now.

#5 2008-02-29 14:00:57
jewbilee

I use AIM for my text chats so both are pretty much no good for me.

However, I do like what everyone is saying.

If you can reverse engineer it as said, show the buddylist and make it so that when i want to video or voice chat, it will run the program, that would be great.

#6 2008-02-29 14:23:36
christophr

Although I understand the argument against having Skype running in the background, I think that having (legit) access to its API is worth it. This is a for a few reasons:

First, I use Skype /only/ for voicechat. I'm assuming - and correct me if I'm wrong - that a majority of people use the product as such. Hell, I would use Ventrillo if my parents weren't so computer illiterate.

Second, I've heard that breaking the Skype API is difficult. It doesn't make sense to break open the lock if you've already got the key. Skype gives pretty good support for its product in its API, so why waste the effort on keeping one step ahead of their team.

That's my two (Euro)cents anyway.

#7 2008-02-29 14:43:17
Millenius

OPTION 2 !!!!
Digsby is great : we don't need to start many software to contact our friends. The option 2 is the only best solution smile

BUT ! In the future, Digsby can't forgot the audio&video...
The next batchs ?
1: audio
2: video

#8 2008-02-29 15:49:46
inthepit

i would go with option #2.  or possibly reverse engineer the myspace IM possibly killing 2 birds with 1 stone and gaining both myspace IM and Skype IM support for digsby.

#9 2008-02-29 15:52:42
melkior

I'll vote for Option 2, for several reasons.

Running Skype in the background makes the whole deal a little bit useless. Personally, I run Digsby because I don't want all the other apps running.

For instance, all my computers (3 of them) run Digsby all the time, but I also have GTalk and Skype installed. The only time I actually run those apps is when I want to have a voice conversation. Most of the time, all I need/want is textual communication.

Having Skype installed isn't such a big price to pay if I really need audio/video. I just don't want to run it along with Digsby. Text is enough.

That's it as long as reverse engineering Skype for basic functions isn't too complicated.

#10 2008-02-29 16:53:31
pennstatephil

I'm also for option 2 with the mix-in option of starting skype for voice/video chat. Again, it's all about memory management. The less processes running at lower memory the better.

-Phil
#11 2008-02-29 17:58:07
kersti

Option 1 - not ideal, but probably the safest option of all. I like all my contacts in one place and hiding the skype thing is OK. I'd see this as a part one of a phased approach tho

Option 2 - Better in many ways - the audio video options of skype I only use occasionally anyway and generally find that I have to book in with family to organise to have them online to run it all. Having access to the chat features would be fab in my opinion

#12 2008-02-29 19:14:00
mike
Digsby Developer

wow i like the response so far. reverse engineering is fun ;-)

#13 2008-02-29 21:14:57
cooldude75ph

Option 2 definitely! I want to get rid of excess IM clients big_smile

#14 2008-02-29 21:36:59
yihyng

Option 2 definitely! The idea for me is also to get rid of all the extra IM clients. If i need to make skype calls, I don't mind opening the skype client for that.

#15 2008-02-29 21:44:27
eia
Super Power User

I never fire up Skype these days, but if I could get my Skype buddy list into digsby and then get it to alert me (and start Skype) when someone tries to call me, that would be great.

... and now for something completely different

The digsby Wishlist | digsby themes | Community maintained wiki
#16 2008-02-29 22:42:58
McoreD
Power User

mitcoes wrote:

I would like a mixed.
Where I can see as a chat tool, better if I can chat with my friends, and if we decide to start a voice or video conversation the program  would call skype app and start it.

As mitcoes first pointed out, I like a combination.

Reverse Engineer the protocol as much as possible and use it without the reliance of Skype.
Only when Audio/Video connection is requested by the user, load Skype in the background and use it.

#17 2008-02-29 22:56:28
m3lange

I'd like to have Digsby handling as many thing as possible, so I'd go with option 2.

However, if there is a need to run Skype in the background I'll live with that. At least YM, MSN and Google is now gone. big_smile

#18 2008-02-29 23:59:43
jusdave

Not matter what is done on PC, reminding everyone of this. MIDs are the future of communication. Build it and they will come. (just add water)

#19 2008-03-01 13:04:11
k3davis

My thoughts agree with what eia and jewbilee (and others) here are saying. I'd like to see my Skype buddy list in Digsby and be able to text chat, allowing skype itself to launch only if I want to make/receive a call.

I don't know if I mind Skype running also as a process - it doesn't seem ideal, but then hacking Skype when there already is an API seems troublesome. Can the skype process run without the skype app being visible (on screen, in tray, etc.)?

#20 2008-03-01 13:37:08
RGMBill

I have to agree with most of the other folks; a hybrid of 1 and 2 is best.  I don't want to run Skype in the background, but I really need Digsby to start it up automatically if Digsby can't handle Voice and Video chat; that's what I use Skype for.  It would be great to have the Skype just be available on call.

Of course, I'd also like to see MSN Live Video Call support, too... but I guess I can't get too greedy.

Pages: 1 2 3 … 15 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved