Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Feature Requests » Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback

Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback

#21 2008-03-02 02:08:06
Re: Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback
Conundrum

Well, its pretty much all been said, but for me option 1 is fine as a temporary thing until option 2 is viable.

As far as long term option 1 is pretty pointless. Option 2 sounds better because the chat features are still useful and  if i see a skype contact come on who i need to call then i can just pull up skype for that (or have it do the suggestions above, open it up automatically)

The way i see it is it may take a lot of work, but could make the difference between Digsby being the best multi-messaging tool or just a very good one.

#22 2008-03-02 15:58:20
iwahla

I gotta go with a hybrid if possible if not Option 1 Mos Def because i think the main point of skype is voice chat, thats why its so popular and without it its just another chat program. + I think its pretty convenient to have just one program open for everything even if skype is running in the background (you can just hide it from sys tray).
Option 1 will def grab more headlines voice, chat, email all in one.

#23 2008-03-03 00:21:23
andreasn

I vote for option 2. However It would be great if you can accept calls by starting up skype from digsby.

In  the long run your challange will probably be to integrate voice/video calls from MSN, Skype and similar.

You are doing a great and fast job, thanks!

#24 2008-03-03 05:12:29
emilime

I also vote for option 2, I only use Skype for text chat and file transfer through the chat but, is it possible? I haven't seen a feature like this in Miranda, Pidgin or Adium... they all need Skype up and running...

#25 2008-03-04 20:26:45
obry

Yeah, definitely option 2. If I'll be running both programs I might as well just use Skype. In the rare occasion when I need to talk to  somebody, it's easy enough to click on the blue icon.

#26 2008-03-04 21:34:07
kyleabaker

"Option 2" is the only way that I will use skype. I'm personally not about to open skype and minimize it to the tray just so I can use another client instead.

If you want people who use skype to use Digsby, then you will most likely need the voice feature since many people don't just signup for skype for the text chatting. That being said, many people will not want to run both applications. I'd be more than happy to help reverse engineer, but the way Digsby and the project is currently setup...it's not very easy for us to contribute our help other than suggestions and bugs.

Option 2 should also make it easier to get the same skype features working cross platform (to us Linux users [x64] wink ).

#27 2008-03-07 03:45:58
drauks

Option 2 is the only one I want

#28 2008-03-11 17:26:21
darundal

Honestly, the only reason I use Skype is for the voice stuff. However, I would hate having to have Skype open for Digsby, however. Out of curiosity, have any of you thought about trying to reverse-engineer the voice stuff for the protocols already supported?

#29 2008-03-11 18:35:04
ruudboek

I have to go for the hybrid (mixed) solution of pennstatephil, it sounds excellent.

#30 2008-03-12 21:33:45
virtualdll

First of all do option 2 if skype changes the app not sure how compatable it would stay but if they change the way logging in or so you probably wouldn't have a lot to do. Plus your app is suppose to be an all in one so it stays true to your mission. Now if you install skype along with your app(utilizing that version) and integrate it through your app and keep it seemless that might be cool but again if they do an overhall so will you. The best option I think is both. start with 2 and then do 1 as a choice later. This will only expand your app and make what few features not available be usabe through the extention.

I'll just say this one thing do with it as you will. I know putting another thing into the app may take alot(especially for compatability, simplicity, stability, and quallity) but making streaming audio and even video into the works is a must for the future of the app even if its in the back burner for a bit.

#31 2008-03-16 15:22:31
Rade

I would go for option 1.

Option 2 imho just seems infeasible. Aside from the technical challenge, it is questionable if it would be worth it from a user stand-point.

- Who knows how long the proprietary Skype protocol will continue to exist (eBay doesn't seem to be able to really monetize the Skype service).
- Who cares about system ressources. The Skype client can run on mobile devices (albeit in a modified form).

Other than that: Option 2 would be nice of course wink

#32 2008-03-17 05:10:10
iiam

If Skype has to be running, I'd rather just use Skype.  They know their protocol better than anyone.

If you ever figure out how to do voice and dialout thru Digsby, I'd use it, but not with Skype running "in the background".

#33 2008-03-17 05:11:23
iiam

To reiterate:

Skype support with no voice and Skypeout is WORTHLESS.

#34 2008-03-19 11:38:53
obry

I have a Nokia N95 phone and there's this program called Fring that supports Voice and Chat (no Video) and it's a 3rd party program. There's also several others (iSkoot, IM+ for Skype) so obviously other people are able to do text + voice at least and these are mobile applications.

#35 2008-03-20 22:00:45
brandonchiang

I want to consolidate IM protocols (and the social network access) through one interface as much as possible, so no I definitely wouldn't want to have to have the Skype client running.

I also use SkypeIM much more than I use the voice part.

If there was a way to launch the Skype client in case of a voice call, that's great, but that doesn't really matter to me one way or another.

Thanks for a great product so far!

#36 2008-03-22 01:34:26
RobbieG

The only reason I use Skype is for the high quality video chat (http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=k … mp;_i=1415 )
If Digsby was able to provide the same/better quality video chats, then I would only use Digsby.  Once this was accomplished, then I would prefer Option 2 to integrate my Skype contacts into Digsby.  Using Digsby as merely a front end for Skype would be of little value to me.

#37 2008-03-24 21:10:55
jrsinclair

If option 2 gets up then Digsby will become my IM client of choice. My sole reason for using something like Digsby is to save on having 4 different IM clients all running at once and chewing up resources.

I have to use Skype for work, but I only use Skype for IM, so Option 2 would be perfect for me. I couldn't care less whether or not there was video or voice support.

#38 2008-04-01 11:23:04
thebestdrummer_87

Option 2 sounds awesome. TokBox is cool but has its annoyances. So far the things Digsby has come up with has been great, I trust your reverse engineering. Give it a shot

#39 2008-04-01 13:13:35
Deryn

Add me to the list of people who would prefer Option 2: I use Skype mainly to IM to my iChat-using friends and hardly ever use the voice feature except for voicemail.  It would be great to have the option to open Skype for voice calls upon request, but I agree with many here ... the whole point is to limit the number of running clients, so the buddy list and text capability is all I need.

I've only used digsby for a day and I'm a total convert.  You rule.

#40 2008-04-02 18:47:02
Karki

I think option 2 is the best one.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 … 15 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved