Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Technical Support » [How To] Run digsby in linux with wine

[How To] Run digsby in linux with wine

#1 2008-03-10 13:29:11
[How To] Run digsby in linux with wine
druckus

This Guide was written using wine-0.9.57 as of 3/7/08

First download/install or compile wine.

Next grab the latest version of digsby and type....

Code:

# wine digsby_setup.exe

in the directory you downloaded it to.

Go though the installer as normal as you would in windows.

Now your going to need a copy of the gdiplus.dll from a windows install. I found mine on dllfiles.com

Here's the link to gdiplus dll
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f … ml?gdiplus

unzip that file you downloaded and copy gdiplus.dll to your system32 directory under wine.

Code:

# cp gdiplus.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

Next launch the Disgby client program.

Code:

# wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Digsby/digsby.exe

Fill in your account info.
and hit sign in.

Here is a screenshot of digsby running on my debian etch workstation
http://geocities.com/odin150/snapshot1.jpg

Last edited by druckus (2008-03-11 10:01:18)

#2 2008-03-10 13:47:41
Re: [How To] Run digsby in linux with wine
mike
Digsby Developer

sweeet

now i can run digsby on my ubuntu laptop big_smile

#3 2008-03-10 14:10:32
Jeffrey
Digsby Developer

Sweet work smile

#4 2008-03-10 18:58:27
steve
Digsby Developer

Screenshots  wink

#5 2008-03-12 18:22:41
jiml

The proof of the puddin' running on Sidux.

The only thing that I've found so far that doesn't work is clicking on Widgets within Preferences. Just beacuase it works in Wine doesn't take off the pressure for a pure Linux version :-) .

http://www.grievousangel.org/snapshot1.png

Jim!

#6 2008-03-24 11:50:53
Joe

I've gotten Digsby to work in Ubuntu 7.10, but it's very-- hackish.  So much that I have (after trying many other options to make it run smoother-- even seemlessly runninng Virtualbox-- which just wasn't the same) gone back to Pidgin.  Everything seemed to work, just not... smoothly.

I recently installed Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) 8.04 beta and still looks hackish (though I didn't expect it to look/work smoother)

Does your version look/work well?  Maybe it's my setup. (Emerald/Compiz/Gnome)

Just wondering if I should take another hack at it, or wait, not so patiently, for a Linux release.

I type how I talk...

...with my hands.
#7 2008-03-26 02:42:40
Sir_Sid

eh mine just crashes. I could probably make it work with a bit of tinkering but when's the native linux client comming!!

#8 2008-04-04 19:57:32
demonspork

It does not work if you try to create an account from the installer.

I followed the directions in the first post exactly, and logging in works, emailing people works, SMS works, file transfers work, the information that pops up when your mouse hovers over a buddy works flawlessly. the one thing that doesn't work is instant messaging. Whenever I go to the IM tab of the window, it just displays what was there before, be it one of the other tabs or simply the desktop background if IM is the first tab opened. Does anyone have a fix for that? (if I am using a compositing window manager such as compiz, it just displays colorful static)

I am using wine version 0.9.58 and can confirm that digsby doesn't run at all in 0.9.41

#9 2008-04-05 18:19:32
acarboni

EDIT: Nevermind... I had an older version of Darwine.  I updated my installation, followed the above instructions, and I can now confirm that this works on Leopard.

Has anybody gotten this going under Crossover/Darwine on the Mac?  I tried following these instructions, crossing my fingers, and spinning around three times, but I get an error message:

LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed.

Any ideas?

Last edited by acarboni (2008-04-05 18:44:01)

#10 2008-04-13 04:51:50
crashnburn007

(New) Wine 0.9.59, Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Not Working - starts up but IM not working and no notifications

#11 2008-04-23 19:02:31
Joe

I, too, am having issues with running Digsby in Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron"), and I had it running (more or less) just fine in 7.10.

It starts up, and I see the buddy list, but I can't see the chat windows when i double click on a buddy-- though if I double click on several names, then try to close Digsby, it warns me about closing multiple tabs.

So.. how *is* that linux version coming?  smile

I type how I talk...

...with my hands.
#12 2008-04-23 23:21:21
gothicfreak
Power User

best thing to do is wait till it is announced when it is released for linux.  thats the best and easiest way.

yeah i know its fun for some people to try to see if wine will make it work on linux,  but that cannot be really a big deal to many people or to the programmers for the reason it was not made for linux in the first place smile

#13 2008-04-24 08:46:38
Joe

Ah, but I don't even *use* Windows anymore, and no matter how hard I search, there is no suitable (read: feature rich) messenging client for linux.

So, to me, it may not be a *big deal*, but it is an area of concern. smile

Linux users make a more loyal fan base, anyway.  tongue

I type how I talk...

...with my hands.
#14 2008-04-25 07:41:58
jitsejan

Guess I'm doing something wrong. It won't show the buddy list at all. I tried running digsby again, but now I have 2 Digsby-icons in my taskbar. One is logged on I think, cause it says I've got new mail. But I can't click on it, it only says: Digsby  or 1 New email. I'm a linux n00b, so it would not suprise me if I made a stupid mistake tongue

#15 2008-04-25 10:24:24
Joe

jitsejan:

What setup are you running?

no one in particular:

I just upgraded to the newest version of wine (0.9.60) and forgot to see if this helps bring digsby to us linux users. smile

News at Eleven.

I type how I talk...

...with my hands.
#16 2008-04-25 10:27:56
jitsejan

I just downloaded wine today and tried the tutorial in this topic. I downloaded digsby from the windows section (the only one) and ran this digsby_setup.exe. I call digsby with the command and in the terminal you see everything digsby is doing (with mailboxes and stuff), but that's it..

Btw, I use ubuntu 7.10

Last edited by jitsejan (2008-04-25 10:29:30)

#17 2008-04-28 17:20:38
aruza

Alrighty here goes nothing.
While running windows for the last couple of weeks i have fallen in love with Digsby. I have decided to again try the switch to linux, trying the new Ubuntu 8.04.
I found a guide which showed how to run digsby in Wine (this post) and tried that and Digsby will install and run, show the buddy list but no IM windows will pop up and no notifications will appear.

I am really hoping that someone out there has gotten this to work, so any help would be awesome.

I was running Ubuntu 8.04 like i said and wine version 0.9.59

That is still true except for the fact that i tried running wine version 0.9.57 because that is the last version that wine's application DB says it worked in. I now have tried the newest version, 0.9.60, and have run across a different problem.
In 0.9.60 you initially get an error that says python25.dll is not readable so i copied the driver from a blender installation and that error went away but the buddy list doesn't come up and no icons are in the top corner like with the 0.9.59 version of wine.

#18 2008-05-10 15:39:34
Majorcrash

When I try to run digsby, I get the following error:

Module not found
Loadlibrary(pythondll) failed

#19 2008-05-22 20:57:20
Greensauce

I have Ubuntu 8.04 (running on Macbook with VirtualBox) and I used wine 0.9.59. Instead of downloading that dll file I opened Wine configuration and went to the library tap and used the gdiplus override and added it into Wine.

I encountered no errors during the install or when it opened, it also had all the icons (gmail, facebook, digsby) on the top bar. But my buddy list never had anything inside it and no pop-ups worked. I am just going to wait for the Linux (and OS X) release, since its not worth the effort (and it runs slow as hell anyway it would be easier to just check gmail and facebook before it ever came up)

Cheers

#20 2008-05-22 22:18:11
Parth
Super Power User

@Greensauce: same problem here.

Pages: 1 2 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved