digsby
Location: Forum Home » General Discussion » Digsby Joins the Dark Side

Digsby Joins the Dark Side

#1 2009-08-13 19:00:16
Digsby Joins the Dark Side
manta089

I just got done reading the latest article on Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5336382/digsby-jo … make-money

I've been using Digsby for over a year now and it has done its job very well until recently. The money making and advertising tactics you have been using are getting out of hand lately.

It was bad when you started to bundle a bunch of crap with the software. Then you spam all of your users to vote for you on Lifehacker. Now I find out that you use people's computers without their permission? That is completely unacceptable and makes me worry about what you will be doing next.

I hope you change your tactics in the future. For now I will move on to Pidgin or Trillian.

#2 2009-08-13 19:33:15
Re: Digsby Joins the Dark Side
HankTheDwarf

Just wanted to say that I used Digsby in the past (on multiple, separate occasions) and I finally realized it wasn't really a good fit yet. I wanted to wait for later builds because it looked promising, but this news disgusts me.

Just because you can skirt by legally with something buried deep in a EULA, does not make it a good business practice.

I believe Digsby is going to be very hurt by this, because Lifehacker is how I first became aware of Digsby a couple of years ago.

Someone really goofed and should've taken heed to previous complaints. Goodbye for good.

Last edited by HankTheDwarf (2009-08-13 19:33:53)

#3 2009-08-13 19:34:02
strict9

I agree. This is unacceptable. When I arrive at work tomorrow morning I will be removing Digsby from all 27 of our office computers and replacing it with an alternative client.

This is really disappointing. Digsby was originally a great, safe alternative to the bloated existing IM clients, and now it's trying to install all of this horrible software and even worse, hijack my computer.

I would have gladly paid $10, $20, $30 per client. Instead I'll never touch the software again.

#4 2009-08-13 19:57:26
tofagerl

Meh. I just disable the ads, and the background processing my Core 2 Quad can probably handle.
In the future I sincerely hope Digsby can do a voluntary premium service on the cheap. 5$ a year seems like a good price for an IM client that is really only a little better than the rest, not revolutionary.

#5 2009-08-13 20:44:03
r3fuj33

Doesn't suprised me, Digsby has slowly been getting worse and worse.  I recommend Pidgin.  It may not be the greatest but at least you can see what's going on with it if you want to.

#6 2009-08-13 21:02:48
DanG

It's quite easy to to uncheck and/or decline things.

I like Digsby a lot and plan on sticking with it.

#7 2009-08-13 21:10:48
artfuldodga
Super Power User

well we've all known this for awhile but its time they cleaned up their act, no more crapware... maybe they should ask the adium crew how they work? i'm guessing there isn't alot of money involved but still...

i give the devs a month to clean the installer up, inform Lifehacker or some other site they have done so or i'm personally dropping the client and will suggest others i know to do the same, direct them towards pidgin

sad to see digsby end this way

Last edited by artfuldodga (2009-08-13 21:11:48)

#8 2009-08-13 21:13:32
richardkemp

What is out of hand is all you complainers. This is great software and it's free. Chill out.

Devs, my thoughts: During the installation, a short message acknowledging the costs of developing Digsby. Present option for how a user can support Digsby, possibly checkboxes:

"Digsby costs money to develop. Please consider some of the following, or just press next to continue to installation:

x View software offers from our sponsors
x View information regarding how you can donate your unused computer cycles to support Digsby
x Buy us a beer (PayPal or other)

(Back) / (Next)"

User then gets shown differing things next based on which boxes the did or didn't check.

For the record, I thought the installer with the accept/decline/next system was fine. People should read what they are installing. Keep up the good work, Digsby is maturing into an awesome app.

#9 2009-08-13 21:25:04
LLM

I can deal with the crapware that one must opt out of when installing Digsby.  Its annoying, but whatever.

The truly reprehensible part is that Digsby rather slyly uses my computer's CPU, bandwidth, and electricity without my explicit permission.  (Yes, its technically buried in the terms of service, but this kind of information should be up front and obvious.)  The option to disable this shouldn't be hidden under "Support Digsby", but should be modified so that you have to opt IN to allow Digsby to use your computer.  In no way should "Enable" be the default setting.

I find this business model quite unacceptable.  If the Digsby developers need to make money with this software, they should charge money for it.  Its a fine product and people would pay for it.  Underhandedly using subscribers' computers is far from honest.

I'm currently looking at alternative software and will be uninstalling as soon as I find something else I like.

#10 2009-08-13 22:06:35
AmRes

I'll start off with the history... Not only did my machine 'burn-up', but the hard disk failed, etc.  This meant having to download ALOT of stuff all over again, including Digsby.

When I installed Digsby, I just answered 'No' to all the ad stuff.  POOF! No ads.

The 'research' option label says 'Enable', which leads me to believe it was disabled by the install.

For those with an issue about Digsby using cycles in the background, how many E-Mail accounts, social nets, etc are you monitoring?  To you go 'offline' or exit the program when you're done for the day?  If you want to monitor accounts and stuff, it's going to suck up cycles.  That's just the way software works.

#11 2009-08-13 22:14:08
Bensawsome

Ok I joined just to say this... I installed digsby when it first came out, when it didn't have all the crapware... I upgraded recently and thought nothing of all the freaking prompts to install the crapware. Now I read this article... No wonder my computer ran so freaking slow. I uninstalled it as soon as I read the lifehacker article, restarted, ran SO much faster. At least you prompted us to install the crapware. You sneaked that little thing about using your CPU for their stupid reasons in their. THAT IS DESPICABLE!!!!!!! I am not going to waste my electricity and bandwidth because you guys want to make money. And don't tell me you guys are just paying for the bills. You give users one dollar for every user they get to install digsby. If you have that kind of money you are able to do more then "pay the bills.

Last edited by Bensawsome (2009-08-13 22:21:42)

#12 2009-08-13 22:28:31
vandiemen911

I have been using Digsby for what feels like forever and never had any problems until now.  I have been fine with the client, but knowing that this sort of stuff is going on without my knowledge is very offensive.  I am okay with all that yes/no prompts during install...but utilizing my CPU time without my knowledge?  Sure, you can legally hide behind your TOS but that doesn't save you from looking like a despicable bastard in my eyes.  Had to join these forums just to say that.

#13 2009-08-13 22:53:02
jeffculligan

Burying this crap in the TOS, then hiding the option to disable it under the Help menu is asshole behavior. I've been using digsby for some time now and telling lots of people to drop their IM client and switch to Digsby, so now I feel like an asshole. Thanks a lot.

#14 2009-08-14 01:23:24
bwat47

Seriously, digsby devs I hope you read this, you need to do something about this installer because it is really completely ruining the reputation of a great program, I know a lot of people that won't even try digsby because 'it has spyware' and even when I tell them about the alternate installer they don't care, you have already made irreparable damage to your reputation and you need to take action and fix this mess.

#15 2009-08-14 01:45:48
spacebear

I have read the article as well. I really love Digsby as a program, but not those dubious advertising methods. I'd prefer if they switched to a nice Freemium model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium

If the incentives are nice enough, I'd surely make the switch to the premium version.

#16 2009-08-14 02:33:12
steve
Digsby Developer

@All:  This issue will be addressed first thing in the morning.  As for performance, the functionality has actually been off this entire time.  It is in the TOS because it was planned for the future and Digsby has not been using your CPU/Bandwidth when idle so if you have had performance issues it is not Digsby related.

#17 2009-08-14 04:03:17
troll

Just uninstall Digsby. I serious wonder if the devs install those crapware themselves, right steve?

#18 2009-08-14 04:19:56
Umberto

This is so bad, really.

If someone wants to uninstall, better use with Revo Uninstaller. It's safer and also cleaner (Digsby uninstall utility leaves thousands of unused waste objects in the system)

Last edited by Umberto (2009-08-14 04:30:38)

#19 2009-08-14 04:28:14
butler360

Yep, I think it's time to get rid of Digsby. It always did seem too good to be true.

I was unpleasantly surprised to find that a separate blog would be the one notifying me of this crap and not, you know, Digsby itself.

I haven't checked out Pidgin for a while but now seems like a good time.

#20 2009-08-14 04:38:09
Bob_UK

I am disgusted  with the way Digsby Dev's hid this CUP research crap from us then hid the option to turn it off under help and not even mention it was there. Then deep down in the TOS mention it.

This is very important news and SHOULD be in bold on the installer with an option to ENABLE it if we like.

I have been using Digsby from the start have sent many bugs into the Dev's and helped them NOW I am just about to pull the plug on Disgsby.. No way can I recommend this to innocent people that know nothing about crapware.. They would just click everything and install it.

Links to Digsby have been pulled from my sites and the Lifehacker link in its place to warn people.. Its funny Lifehacker really built Digsby and now its helping to take you down and its your own fault.

Hiding the CPU research thing was you biggest mistake. It took all trust in you away in that one second..

You need to work extra hard now and cut all the crap you are spewing over these forums. ACT and act fast. Listen to what people are saying..

Your loosing customers your loosing street cred that "we" worked hard to get. yes we are we voted for you promoted you gave your program life and you kick us in the teeth like this.

Remove your CPU steeling device and be more open with the people that keep you alive.

As with out us Steve you are dead.......

Digsby is dead....

You need us more than we need you.. I installed Trillian last night.. but not uninstaled Digsby YET.

I await to see your next moves

Bob

edit

I just been on the Digsby page on Facebook and see every one is uninstaling it leaving bad reviews and removing the Digsby application. You people have a lot of work to do now.. unless you act very quick it will get worse. Its bad enough to have such a bad review on Lifehacker you know how that alone can hit you.

Last edited by Bob_UK (2009-08-14 06:34:46)

Pages: 1 2 3 … 7 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved