Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » General Discussion » Digsby Joins the Dark Side

Digsby Joins the Dark Side

#21 2009-08-14 08:44:55
Re: Digsby Joins the Dark Side
bwat47

The main problem people have with the installer is not that it has ads, its that it has really unsavory offers which are considered spyware, with more legit offers in the installer it would help fix this, and many people hate that the research module is enabled by default (but from the blog post it looks like you will address the research module soon)

#22 2009-08-14 09:01:24
artfuldodga
Super Power User

i'm asking digsby to change their current model, chuck the saved server side prefs and required digsby client login and eliminate your overhead

offer up a paid version of the software, pay your developers ... digsby IM should never be in your mind thought of as a 'full time job' just a hobby, if you're looking to create a business out of free protocols you are all just greedy

yes i'm serious, sure syncing may be handy but the majority just care about having a reliable client to use and their contacts at fingertips, nothing more

you guys have zero excuse, you create your own so called 'expenses' and use that excuse to bundle garbage, your devs should be paid but like i said, this shouldn't be a full time job for anybody, people code out of love for the software they created, $ comes dead last

Last edited by artfuldodga (2009-08-14 09:02:32)

#23 2009-08-14 09:06:44
bwat47

No the server side prefs feature needs to stay, removing that would be removing very useful functionality, I love being able to install digsby and have all my settings correct its really useful.

I guarantee you many users find the syncing useful. And other programs like trillian also require you to login.

Last edited by bwat47 (2009-08-14 09:10:32)

#24 2009-08-14 09:06:46
bbossert

Loved Digsby, but this is unacceptable behavior! Back to Pidgin! This is malware at it worst. Co-opting my computer, ouch! I've been robbed, cheated, and who knows what else! Now I have to read all that tiny print, again. Dran you.

Ok I didn't tweet this, I actually waited for the announcement from Digsby. I feel a little better, but think that they should have made it very clear what the so called grid was going to take place. I mean that I would have liked to see a "Stop" dialog where the explained, and give you the chance to opt in or out.

I tried to go back to Pidgin, but I really really like Digsby's functionality. I have turned off the malicious function. I HOPE! For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as a young company.

#25 2009-08-14 09:31:16
artfuldodga
Super Power User

digsby team keeps talking ... 'should of been more transparent' said that half a year ago, how about removing the adware and there be no need to be transparent at all, it just is, like most other software these days, genius isn't it?

like i said, digsby creates its own overhead costs, you cannot make a boat ton of money and supply full time jobs to the digsby team off the backs of these protocols without your product becoming shitty, unless you're Microsoft who built what you're using and other unique services (Twitter, who aren't making alot of cash either) it just won't work

a paid version is the best you'll do without abusing your users, plain and simple, devs deserve to be paid for their coding, thats just fair and a paid version would deliver that

any other option, is just abuse, we have seen it for awhile now and im done with your software if i don't see changes

my last comment on the issue

i'm FOR text ads at the bottom of conversation windows, much the same as WLM, and please STOP pushing useless notices like Voting etc via your notice/announce feature thanks

Last edited by artfuldodga (2009-08-14 10:30:57)

#26 2009-08-14 09:45:39
manta089

After playing around with some other clients for a while I have decided on using either Trillian or Miranda. Trillian seems great right out of the box and Miranda is nice if you like to customize. They both do everything that Digsby does and are a lot faster and more memory efficient.

Digsby has been reliable until all this nasty stuff they have been doing. I just can't trust them any more when there are other alternatives that do the job as well or better. If they felt this last step was acceptable then who knows what they will do next.

Last edited by manta089 (2009-08-14 09:47:02)

#27 2009-08-14 09:58:46
Bob_UK

@manta089

I totally agree with you...

@ the Dev's You have put me in a spot as I supported you all the time and promoted you on my sites and via Facebook and other social sites. I get many people asking my advice as they trust me and I dont recommend anything to them I "use" the programs I recommend.

Now I have to contact everyone and apologise to them... I have done so on my personal websites and Facebook and that is being passed around by my contacts.

You made a very bad move and you are killing this.. You need us on your side without us you are nothing.

But I think you understand this a bit better now if you are reading the Internet today.

Make the changes quick before you do much more damage.

Bob

#28 2009-08-14 11:19:01
Bensawsome

@steve I'm sorry but that is BULL. Every time I had it open I checked the process manager and it was the digsby process that was using all my resources... Also on the lifehacker article there are several comments that say similar things.. like one I saw mentions your product using all their bandwidth of their t1 line due to "a single digsby installation"

#29 2009-08-14 11:29:01
mike
Digsby Developer

the research module runs in a separate process (java.exe). if the digsby process is using all your resources then there's a bug in our program, not the research thing.

#30 2009-08-14 11:31:03
Jeffrey
Digsby Developer

@Bensawsome those are totally unrelated. the research module is designed to only turn on after 5 minutes of idle time, and it would kill the process the instant any activity was noticed. So if you were actively going to the process manager it was not because of the research module.

Also the t1 bandwidth issue occurs in very RARE occasions and it happens because certain networks (routers) not being able to handle the number of sockets being opened to download the update files. This is something that was already address internally and we have a solution. It just needs to be implemented.

#31 2009-08-14 11:44:41
PaulS

A couple of things still concern me about this:
1) The first Digsby blog post about the research module was two weeks after someone first noticed the module working. Why were people not informed *before* the module was in place?
2) Why does it take ten months to increase visibility of a component when hardly anyone noticed it, and yet only a day to do it after someone makes a high-profile blog post?
3) Who on the digsby development team, specifically, suggested that an unannounced enabled-by-default research module which ran in the background would be a good idea?
4) Aside from the ad-filled installer and the research module, does a digsby install do anything else to clients systems to generate revenue?
5) If the T1 issue was known about, why wasn't the announcement system used to raise awareness of the problem immediately? Maxing out a T1 line is a pretty major issue, as anyone with a T1 line is probably paying through the nose for it.
6) Will the Digsby team now institute a policy of telling users BEFORE something is implemented, rather than the "Hell, just do it and announce stuff when anyone complains" policy which has evidently been in effect thus far?

#32 2009-08-14 12:01:48
DotCom

I just read it as a repost on Slashdot.  I was wondering if it was true, guess it is.

I'll remember to ban digsby on any machines I work with going forward, and appreciate the heads-up!

#33 2009-08-14 12:21:34
artfuldodga
Super Power User

ShashDot FTW.

#34 2009-08-14 13:16:41
Bob_UK

Well well we had mike and Jeffrey both Digsby dev's on here and did we get an answer about what they plan to do?

NO

So what can we expect from this crowd.. they have shown their colours by stealing our CPU and bandwidth and not even a sorry or we will disable this.

#35 2009-08-14 13:24:36
artfuldodga
Super Power User

its like i said, they seem to be pretending to care when they obviously do not.

what does the 'support digsby' in prefs do for a user after they unknowingly install bad software, unwanted software, the research module which should be 'off' by default (not sure if it is or not atm, i'll have to see)

its not really the devs that drive me nuts its the guy who manages all this, very VERY amateur it seemss

btw, you can't use the excuse digsby is young any longer, it isnt its been ages in internet years, its kind of like dog years except time moves even faster

your installer should say, 'this installer is packed with crapware and modules used to control your machine, you can deselect all crap once run, do you wish to run this installer'

hey, thats the facts, present it as such

Last edited by artfuldodga (2009-08-14 13:28:26)

#36 2009-08-14 13:58:22
mike
Digsby Developer

Bob_UK wrote:

did we get an answer about what they plan to do?

NO

the blog exists for a reason http://blog.digsby.com/archives/693

i believe most questions are answered there. if not, please clarify them. i apologize for my poor reading comprehension.

#37 2009-08-14 14:03:24
Aaron
Digsby Developer

@Bob_UK and @artfuldodga What questions that have been asked haven't been answered?  This thread is kinda chaotic so it was likely they were overlooked, between getting work done, other threads in the forum and disusing this vary topic in the IRC room.  I think between the various threads and the blog post we've answered most questions and have already put out a update that moves the research module options to the preferences and displays a popup to the user when it's run. Just ask again, you can direct them at me if you wish.

I'm the one that draws pretty pictures on the screen! (AKA a GUI Dev)
Digsbies.org is currently semi-functional, hopefully it will rise again! Stay tuned!
Talk to us on IRC: #digsby on irc.freenode.org
I has a twitter: @Brok3n_Halo
#38 2009-08-14 14:18:01
Bob_UK

@Aaron

The Research Module should be disabled by default and turned on by the user NOT as you have set it.

You have moved it now so its a bit easier to find but its still enabled. We should have the option to opt in... not be forced to opt out of this.

After all you are using MY computer, My CPU MY bandwidth.

You should ASK me if I want to allow this not have it stolen. In the installer add the option to turn it on.

#39 2009-08-14 14:26:30
Aaron
Digsby Developer

Bob_UK wrote:

The Research Module should be disabled by default and turned on by the user NOT as you have set it.

I kinda agree with you there but not fully.  I think the user should be explicitly asked if they would like to run it during install or first run, I think it's fine if the checkbox is pre-checked, but they do have to explicitly hit a button.

What I do think is importent is to be much more obvious and upfront during the setup process.  Such that we started now by displaying a pop-up displaying that it is running and the user can click the popup for more information on what it does, why it does it, and how to disable it if they wish.

Bob_UK wrote:

In the installer add the option to turn it on.

I do agree with you there though.

It will also have a lot more options later, and will be mentioned in the installer or on first run with a uncheckable box right there.

I'm the one that draws pretty pictures on the screen! (AKA a GUI Dev)
Digsbies.org is currently semi-functional, hopefully it will rise again! Stay tuned!
Talk to us on IRC: #digsby on irc.freenode.org
I has a twitter: @Brok3n_Halo
#40 2009-08-14 14:44:42
Bob_UK

@Aaron

You disagree with it should be off by default then agree it should be turned on by the installer...

Aaron you will disagree with me as you know by having it is now 98% of the installs would have this program running IF its off and we have to turn it on it would be the opposite.

You want people to use Digsby and at the moment you have fantastic bad press over this.. add the option to turn it on in the installer and have it off by default.

You will get no good press on any of my websites or forums if I am asked about Digsby as long as you insist on having this thing on by default.

You can carry on as you are loosing face from the very people that gave you a million downloads or you can act nice and say we were wrong and we are making changes and being open.

Research Module on by default is 100% wrong in the eyes of US the users the people that made Digsby what it is today. We made you we can make it hard for future growth as you know.

Who votes for you? word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

Aaron think stop being blinkered.. Research Module should be off and turned on via a link in the installer.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 … 7 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved