Re: Digsby Joins the Dark Side
Bensawsome

@Bob_UK
AMEN! wink

#42 2009-08-14 14:48:56
mike
Digsby Developer

interestingly enough, it appears most people want it to stay the same, according to the poll.

http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/1874758/?view=results

#43 2009-08-14 14:52:02
Bob_UK

@ Mike

But look at the 3 questions in that vote

Yet another way to twist results

You lot are doing your best to try to twist things and ignore facts Aaron has more sense than you Mike you just make things worse so go away and let Aaron sort us out.

#44 2009-08-14 14:58:59
mike
Digsby Developer

what's wrong with the options? one option is what we do now, another is what some other clients do, and the last one is write-in. how is the poll in any way disingenuous?

if you want to accuse people of twisting things and ignoring facts, you should probably start with the original lifehacker article.

#45 2009-08-14 15:00:09
Bensawsome

@Mike you seriously expect there to be different answers with those choices in the poll???? Put other things like "ads on the site" and also add more space for the user to submit their own idea in the "Other" option... There is maybe 30 characters allowed.

Last edited by Bensawsome (2009-08-14 15:02:13)

#46 2009-08-14 15:06:56
Bob_UK

@Bensawsome

Hes not helping Digsby at all, I can set up a poll and set the options to make microsoft look like gods gift its all in the questions and the options they have to answer.

@Mike
Mike that was a weak poll and you know it and you wont fool anyone with it so dont push it.

As I said before you should let someone else answer us and you stay out of the way.

You seem to keep forgetting that word of mouth can make or break Digsby.. At the moment you are not on Digsby's side in this.

The Dev's have to re think a lot of things now as to what way you are going to go and N ike you are not helping them.

You know the power of Lifehacker and have seen what their article did to you.. you should be learning from that and LISTEN to us.

#47 2009-08-14 15:14:22
manta089

I think one of the problems with the poll is that people don't really understand what the research module means to them. There can be a very big difference in electricity usage between really being idle and having the processors work at 100% doing your research.

For someone who has their computer on most or all of the time this could end up costing them far more money in a year than it would if they were to pay for a premium version. There are also the issues of extra heat and wear and tear on your computer components.

#48 2009-08-14 15:35:30
PaulS

@mike Passive-aggressive slagging off to LifeHacker for doing YOUR job in making users aware of the research module? Wow, the digsby team has class.

@Aaron
Thanks for handling this responsibly and at least attempting to address people's concerns.

As for questions that haven't been answered, I haven't seen good answers to any of the ones I posted, but here are some more specific ones:

- Does Digsby alter Firefox's search plugins in any way, under any circumstances? If so, can we have a screenshot of the page in the installer that contains the opt-out.

- The first Digsby blog post about the research module was two weeks after someone first noticed the module working. Why were people not informed *before* the module was in place?

- Who on the digsby development team, specifically, suggested that an unannounced enabled-by-default research module which ran in the background would be a good idea?

There, that's only three easy-to-answer questions.

#49 2009-08-14 16:12:16
Aaron
Digsby Developer

PaulS wrote:

- Does Digsby alter Firefox's search plugins in any way, under any circumstances? If so, can we have a screenshot of the page in the installer that contains the opt-out.

The installer did at one point, it doesn't any more. 

PaulS wrote:

- The first Digsby blog post about the research module was two weeks after someone first noticed the module working. Why were people not informed *before* the module was in place?
- Who on the digsby development team, specifically, suggested that an unannounced enabled-by-default research module which ran in the background would be a good idea?

A bad management decision.  I'm not going to name names, it's not my place, and we did apologies for that.  The reasoning was they wanted to test it without giving other IM clients the same idea.  It was a bad decision, and we know that.

I'm the one that draws pretty pictures on the screen! (AKA a GUI Dev)
Digsbies.org is currently semi-functional, hopefully it will rise again! Stay tuned!
Talk to us on IRC: #digsby on irc.freenode.org
I has a twitter: @Brok3n_Halo
#50 2009-08-14 17:00:47
Jeffrey
Digsby Developer

@Bob_UK
Just know that the research plugin has not been doing any of the things stated in the lifehacker article. It has been running local unit tests at very low CPU intervals (as it will remain for now), it was going to stay like this till a more prominent way to display the option was created. Even before the LH article was publish we were working on both the issues noted in our earlier blog post: http://bit.ly/9AJ2i. If you notice the date of the blog post, you will see that it was disclosed months ago. Lifehacker made it seem as if this was something we were purposefully hiding when the truth of the matter is that we've been working to properly launch this to our users with a full understanding of what it does.

Just know that WE ARE guilty of not making it obvious to everyone, but this was something that we already had plans to do, and like everything else in life things can only be done 1 at a time.

Just know that we are working hard on fixing these issues as best as possible.

#51 2009-08-14 17:16:35
sstrader

To the Digsby devs: You're dealing with a very vocal, very crazy minority and have my sympathy. I'm dumbfounded at the rage coming out over what is, at the very worst, a minor misstep on Digsby's part. The danger and annoyance level of ads and idle @home research do not warrant this response, and I personally wish your own idle time would have been spent adding new features instead of dealing with these people.

Just wanted to post a few words of support. Thanks again for the great app!

#52 2009-08-14 17:40:19
nowheredan

@Bob_UK - I'm also confused about your problem with the poll. What options would you like to have seen on there, keeping in mind that the Digsby team is not a charitable organization and needs to not only pay the bills but also aspire to be a profitable company?

#53 2009-08-14 23:41:21
r3fuj33

Guess this is why there's no Linux/Mac version yet.  They been too busying installing 'research modules'.

#54 2009-08-15 00:51:42
Jeffrey
Digsby Developer

@r3fuj33 incase you aren't aware the research module was announced months ago, it isn't new, its been there for months, its also been inactive for months. this isn't the cause for the slow down.

we have other things slowing down mac/linux releases, but it is a high priority at this point in time.

#55 2009-08-15 02:17:38
FredM

The digsby devs, for the most part, ignore their users. Faux attention without results means nothing. Don't just pay lipservice, *do something.* This has been a big issue for a long time. Digsby devs constantly say they only have enough time for so and so, or they are "working on it, " etc. I switched to Digsby from Trillian becase Digsby was ahead of Trillian during the massive downtime between 3.x and Astra. But Digsby devs simply ignore large user complaints. This is a small community forum. (For example, I have posted in the past and received no response despite bumping.) If people bother posting here, then it is likely their views represent far more than simply a single person's view. Why does it take a lifehacker article to finally get you guys to listen?

Now that astra is out of beta I am back with it. I support Digsby only because I support competition, and that will make all IM clients better. But Digsby is behind now in virtually all areas, especially user trust. I really hope you guys can improve. But honestly, I think your company's culture won't allow it. (There is something wrong with a company when it allows these despicable practices to take place, especially when you are a tech company that should be able to easily recognize current tech trends. How could you NOT know it would come back to haunt you? I am guessing there are severe problems with management, perhaps a lack of experienced managers. I don't know and don't care to investigate this, because I am only concerned with the product. But it's a problem I often see in young tech companies.)

I just want to emphasize how extremely disappointed I am that it took a lifehacker hit piece (although well deserved) to wake you guys up.

Last edited by FredM (2009-08-15 02:18:29)

#56 2009-08-15 04:05:50
novex

I have been reading lifehacker for the last few months as they had a couple of interesting and informative articles.

however of late the quality seems to have spiraled down to drivel and rants sad like 2 full articles on how to use mouse and keyboard in firefox, both of which were less informative than just pressing F1 and reading the help page on mouse and keyboard commands.

however one thing i have found from attempting to comment on articles there is that they are complete censorship freaks, any comments pointing out the obvious weakness in their "reporting" mysteriously seems to vanish.

However all the fawning little idiots who cant even look in the options of a program or read the help file in order to make the most of it will comment constantly on how amazing and life changing the articles are.

Given this as an observation of the LH community i wouldn't be too bothered about the amount of new registrations posting rubbish in the forums over the last few days, its almost garunteed that they wont have even read any of the other threads still on the 1st page of the forum, threads dating back to 2008 which discuss the research module quite specifically.

so to all the people accusing the devs of this being underhanded and "theft" of their cycles, just because your ignorant doesn't mean your right.

If your reading this from lifehacker then perhaps you should try a basic forum search and / or read the blog and press releases before you write a half assed expose about things that were openly discussed over half a year ago, and stop censoring your comments whenever people try pointing out how poor your research is.

Last edited by novex (2009-08-15 04:07:43)

#57 2009-08-15 05:24:35
BuckoA51

Well I was considering moving back to Digsby after being disappointed with Trillian Astra. I won't be doing that now. I'm also removing Digsby from my free software recommendations on top-windows-tutorials.com

Shame, your client was pretty good too, but there's no excuse for installing malware, there are plenty of consumer friendly ways to make money.

#58 2009-08-15 14:06:34
ryo

"Dark Side" may be a bit of an overreach, but I uninstalled Digsby yesterday.  After using Trillian Pro for years, I found the Astra client to be annoying beyond belief.  A few months ago, a quick search led me to a Lifehacker article that featured Digsby as a great IM client that included a lot of social networking features.  I happily installed Digsby and had been using it since.

Then I popped on to /. yesterday and there's Digsby.  People like me may be in the minority, but we tend to make IT decisions where we work.  Given the quality of the product I'd be willing to pay for the software, but there's no option to do that.  Instead the Digsby team offers the option to install Spyware, Crapware, and other things I don't want to deal with.

As to problems with the stealth distributed "research" client, one developer has already admitted to a known problem with certain routers, what other bugs have escaped your rigorous unit testing?

tl;dr

Thanks for the fun times, I'm going back to Trillian 3 Pro.

Last edited by ryo (2009-08-15 14:18:50)

#59 2009-08-16 08:47:14
artfuldodga
Super Power User

how is it an overreach? their installer is still hosted at freeze.com, a known malware distributor, banned most everywhere

the unheard of amount of badware included in the installer these days

and a research module that remained hidden for over half a year

thats heading in a wrong direction if you ask me

i support the software but none of the above and i also don't support mandatory server sync and updating

#60 2009-08-16 10:19:04
bwat47

mike wrote:

interestingly enough, it appears most people want it to stay the same, according to the poll.

http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/1874758/?view=results

Most people are fine with an installer that has offers, the problem is this installer offers SPYWARE.

The other thing a lot of people have a problem with is the research module being enabled by default.

Change these two things
1. Don't offer spyware in the installer, more legit offers. (basically ditch this crap freeze installer)
2. Research module not enabled by default.

This will please the dissenters.

Last edited by bwat47 (2009-08-16 10:19:45)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 … 7 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved