Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby

Encryption

#41 2010-11-05 15:40:17
Re: Encryption
duerra

Still hoping from some basic encryption support.  IM is a staple of the internet these days, and so is the need for private conversation channels.  This isn't just about big brother, some people want the ability to send other sensitive data, say for example, a CC number to their spouse, over IM in a secure manner.

Please check out my new community-oriented lyrics site and help me build a community at http://lyrictalk.net - I've got no other way to spread the word!
#42 2010-11-23 09:14:05
wildfire01

I registered just for this post.  Please, include OTR support in in Digsby.  I use pidgin because most of the people I IM with on a daily basis use OTR in several other IM clients.

I love Digsby, and it's very hard to stick with other clients while in windows because of the quality of the program.  Digsby is really great and I would love to make it my app of choice.

Please please please include this ability.

#43 2010-12-09 13:49:43
thecgmguy

I whole-heartidly agree.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE offer OTR support.  I'm also using Pidgin but will happily switch if OTR support is available.

#44 2010-12-30 05:31:01
bluebyte

Definitely... please add OTR support! I don't want to use Pidgin and Trillian devs do not care about OTR. So OTR encryption would be definitely a great killer feature for digsby.

So please please answer to these user requests! smile

#45 2011-01-19 13:48:37
bl3nto

+1 definitely, even if the person you're talking with doesn't have encryption its a nice feature to have implemented...

#46 2011-02-21 17:52:08
BigT

Pledge $25 to donate now, and $25 when OTR integration has been completed.

Who will join me with a pledge to get OTR added to Digsby?

#47 2011-03-09 00:21:13
gimmick66

I pledge to stop using digsby until they support encryption

#48 2011-06-29 14:50:06
thecgmguy

Any update?  This is the single biggest reason why I've avoided Digsby.

#49 2011-09-08 11:49:14
joulesbeef

I dont get it. This is 2011. They seem to be one of the best IM clients out there until you realize their is no encryption. it is like the chocolate bunnies you get at Easter. They look awesome but then you bite into them and they are hollow and use crappy chocolate. I really dont get it, they must be anti security and anti encryption. I HAVE to use encryption for several of my contacts. I have asked digsby for years for encryption. They dont seem to care. I almost think they must be anti encryption. That they want to be able to browse your chats, otherwise I cant fathom a reason why they havent added this feature that so many people want, a feature that has been available for chat clients since the 90s. Well the only thing that annoys me more than digsby not having encryption, is having to constantly switch clients when I need encryption. SO GOOD BYE DIGSBY, I will no longer be using you and I will no longer be recommending you. It is crazy that you have zero encryption support after all these years, I can only assume you arent trust worthy or care about security.

#50 2011-09-09 03:21:41
carbonize
Super Power User

Why do you need encryption? 006.5 ?

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#51 2012-01-05 17:28:08
jordanaustin

Buddies and I quit using digsby few weeks ago also awaiting OTR support :-(.

#52 2012-02-20 05:08:54
arximedes

carbonize smile why do u ask? who are you? what do you want on this forum?

isn't the answer privacy (obviously) or are you just retarded joker?

#53 2012-02-20 05:09:49
arximedes

digsby is pretty cool software, but without privacy is for nothing

#54 2012-02-20 06:21:48
carbonize
Super Power User

arximedes are you just a paranoid moron? Do you really think people are reading your messages? On top of that do you really think there is any form of messaging encryption that is not easily broken?

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#55 2012-03-22 08:08:22
Red_Chaos1

carbonize wrote:

arximedes are you just a paranoid moron? Do you really think people are reading your messages? On top of that do you really think there is any form of messaging encryption that is not easily broken?

Actually, yes, the US govt is now treating its citizens like criminals, and Swedish parliament just voted to implement mass surveillance on its citizens. not to mention all the other countries that are currently or were under dictatorships, or other oppressive regimes. You can either be a sheep and go with the flow, keep your head in the sand and pretend there is no use for such things, or you can protect yourself and your right to privacy with encryption. I personally am not a criminal and will not be treated like one, so if I can encrypt my more personal stuff, I will.

#56 2012-03-22 11:10:41
carbonize
Super Power User

You don't want to be treated like a criminal and so you are going to act like one by encrypting your conversations? Yes that wont make them think you're up to something at all now will it neutral

C a r b o n i z e

#57 2012-03-31 06:36:04
Red_Chaos1

carbonize, you're either dense or a troll (or both). Encrypting conversation != "acting" like a criminal. And don't give me that retarded and soundly beaten argument about "if you have nothing to hide..."

#58 2012-03-31 11:15:22
carbonize
Super Power User

Really well who else would feel the need to hide their conversations apart from terrorists and criminals? What does the average person have to hide to the point they want 256bit encryption on their conversations? Worried someone might overhear where you are going on holiday or what colour you are going to paint your kitchen?

C a r b o n i z e

#59 2012-05-29 18:10:03
sciencedada

Carbonize, encryption is necessary when using messaging at work and sending sensitive information.  Say, you are involved in a divorce and your father-in-law works for the administration at your company.  That is a very realistic scenario when you want to have privacy and encryption is appropriate (to contact your lawyer or girlfriend).

#60 2014-01-13 17:03:51
Stucco

Hard to believe this isn't done yet.  It would be so easy...

One note, I would like to establish my own encryption key, outside Digsby.

Pages: 1 2 3 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved