Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Feature Requests » Rip out the Facebook hack they just enabled xmpp/jabber

Rip out the Facebook hack they just enabled xmpp/jabber

#1 2010-02-10 23:00:14
Rip out the Facebook hack they just enabled xmpp/jabber
Lazybones

http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php

this should take care of many of those horrid missing message issues with the current hack.

#2 2010-02-11 05:47:34
Re: Rip out the Facebook hack they just enabled xmpp/jabber
carbonize
Super Power User

Of course this does then go and create a whole load of new groups if, like me, you have sorted your Facebook contacts out.

Step by step instructions.
1 - Go to the url above and click on Other in the centre list.
2 - You will be asked to select a username.
3 - Open Digsby and Digsby then My Accounts...
4 - Click Add IM Account and select Jabber
5 - Click Advanced and put in the following details

Jabber ID: - This is the username you just chose followed by @chat.facebook.com
Password: - Your Facebook password
Host: - chat.facebook.com
Port: - 5222
Resource: - Leave this as Digsby for now
Priority: - Leave this as 5

At the bottom you should select No Encryption and untick Allow Plaintext Login.

And that's it. You are good to go.

To be honest I think Digsby should keep using a Facebook account option which would just be Jabber/XMPP but with all the options preset for Facebook and not require the @chat.facebook.com in the username. This way it will make it easier for people to set it up rather than going through all the steps listed above.

Last edited by carbonize (2010-02-11 05:51:19)

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#3 2010-02-11 16:16:06
chris
Digsby Developer

already implemented most of this since about 3PM (EST) yesterday.  Pretty much just streamlining left.  Look for it in the next alpha.  For now, I suggest sticking with the current implementation, as I'm aiming for backwards-compatibility with the chat logs so history works the same way.

closed topic w/ link == punBB doesn't have merge.
#4 2010-02-11 16:17:38
chris
Digsby Developer

as to missing messages / not updating status, I wouldn't expect it to get too much better, the XMPP runs on top of the same backend, and those problems exist even with the website.

#5 2010-02-11 16:33:04
carbonize
Super Power User

Yes but there have been times when I have not received a reply in Digsby and it's been there when I logged in to Facebook in my browser and hopefully XMPP support will fix that issue.

Already using XMPP and not that concerned about my chat logs. I don't use Facebook for serious conversations.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#6 2010-02-11 16:45:38
chris
Digsby Developer

carbonize wrote:

Already using XMPP and not that concerned about my chat logs. I don't use Facebook for serious conversations.

Yeah, but there's other things that should be streamlined (read: removed/stubbed out) for facebook.  They don't use resources, and you can't send arbitrary iq packets (for example, file transfers); no one needs to see the jabber stuff we have for that, because it's useless.

#7 2010-02-11 16:56:07
carbonize
Super Power User

Yeah that's pretty much what I was suggesting in my earlier post. Keep a Facebook option that just needs username without the @chat.facebook.com (or strips it if they supply it) and their password just as the current implementation does. That should stop any "What do I set the resource to for Facebook" postings.

That and need to provide a link to the chat page so people can make a username if the XMPP server tells you the user doesn't exist.

C a r b o n i z e

#8 2010-02-11 17:01:18
chris
Digsby Developer

carbonize wrote:

Yeah that's pretty much what I was suggesting in my earlier post. Keep a Facebook option that just needs username without the @chat.facebook.com (or strips it if they supply it) and their password just as the current implementation does. That should stop any "What do I set the resource to for Facebook" postings.

We probably won't be storing the password, since we have the capability to do the OAuth-style login, we might as well comply with the way facebook wants it done.

#9 2010-02-12 05:43:42
carbonize
Super Power User

Will the Oauth-style login work with the XMPP server though?

C a r b o n i z e

#10 2010-02-12 08:37:25
chris
Digsby Developer

carbonize wrote:

Will the Oauth-style login work with the XMPP server though?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I had it working within 4 hours of knowing that they enabled XMPP.

#11 2010-02-12 08:38:41
chris
Digsby Developer

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/ind … ok_Connect

#12 2010-02-15 14:05:14
Lazybones

Sounds great!... I agree that it should still be a unique network in the settings, just replacing the back-end code.. Same way Google talk is Jabber but has a unique network icon etc. I suspect it will cause some initial grouping issues since it appears it reports the groups that you set in Facebook if any.

As for missed messages, VERY often with the current implementation I would not get any notice in Digsby but it would be on my Facebook page..

#13 2010-02-15 16:08:58
carbonize
Super Power User

Maybe an option to not use groups from Facebook and just list them all in a group titles Facebook ?

C a r b o n i z e

#14 2010-02-15 16:41:41
chris
Digsby Developer

carbonize wrote:

Maybe an option to not use groups from Facebook and just list them all in a group titles Facebook ?

This will of course depend on your sorting options.

First draft is going to be "follow what digsby has stored, then what facebook says, then default group".  So, if no one has been dragged around, they'll stay in whatever group they're in on facebook.  If you have dragged them around, they'll be wherever you dragged them to.

We haven't come up with a sane way to delete the local information based on drag and drop, so, suggestions are welcome, but no guarantee it'll change.

#15 2010-02-15 16:45:47
carbonize
Super Power User

Well you obviously store the buddy's locally with markers to indicate what protocol they are on and what account they are a buddy of so if that Facebook account is set to not show the groupings then don't.

Or is it not that simple to do?

C a r b o n i z e

#16 2011-01-07 08:49:23
DarkBls

What is the proper way of using facebook caht in digsby then ? XMPP or Web ?
Will I have avatar and facebook chat ignore list on XMPP ?

#17 2011-01-07 10:08:07
carbonize
Super Power User

Both methods in Digsby use XMPP it's just that the Facebook plugin uses xAuth to log you in so that Digsby does not store your password as this is against Facebooks terms. Problem is that for some reason if a person is set to be hidden then they will not appear to a client logged in using xAuth. Well used to be like that but may of been fixed now.

C a r b o n i z e

#18 2012-01-23 17:50:59
jocheat

worked. thx

#19 2012-01-23 21:36:19
Red_Chaos1

This really should be stickied to the support forum for everyone so this can be laid to rest.

#20 2012-01-30 20:33:20
DanGilbertTX

The solution does work if all you want is FB chat. I can confirm that when the FB plugin for Digsby won't work that the Jabber setup will.

Pages: 1 2 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved