Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby

prefs.yaml

#1 2010-03-03 04:41:48
prefs.yaml
carbonize
Super Power User

OK due to the huge amount of posts for things that can be set in prefs.yaml I am going to start a post on what you can set in it. I was going to try and get Dave to do this but this forum has no PM system neutral I'll try and restructure it once I get feedback.

You can find out more at http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2879

I have wrote a PHP script to generate the prefs.yaml file for you and it can be found at http://carbonize.co.uk/Digsby/

OK first you need to know where to put your prefs.yaml file

On Windows XP:

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DigsbyData\Digsby\prefs.yaml

On Vista (and Windows 7):

Code:

C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Digsby\prefs.yaml

You can create your prefs.yaml in any text editor, even notepad but it must be saved as prefs.yaml. It is also important you keep the spaces at the start of lines that have them as this is how yaml knows the hierarchical structure.

Pop Up Notifications

Code:

notifications:
    popups:
        duration: 4000 # How long do pop ups appear for
        opacity:
            hover: 100
            normal: 100
        max_height: 400
        max_lines: 2

Disable Info Box (the info box when you mouseover contacts

Code:

infobox:
   show: no

Buddy List Window

Code:

buddylist:
   close_button_exits: yes # Close button will exit Digsby
   show_on_startup: no # Buddy list is minimised at start

Email (notifications/Sending)

Code:

email:
    preview_length: 500  # Will not always make a difference
    marquee:
        enabled: yes # Make text scroll in info box
        delay_ms: 40 # Delay before marquee starts
    signature:
        enabled: no # Attach a signature to emails sent from Digsby

Taskbar Entry for conversations
You only need to use one of these. notify_flash disables the flashing upon new message and cycle_unread_ims sets it to use your systems setting.

Code:

conversation_window:
   notify_flash: no
   cycle_unread_ims: no

Gmail mark as read on archiving

Code:

gmail:
    markive: yes

There are more and I will add them as I find out about them.

Last edited by carbonize (2011-04-26 01:40:57)

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#2 2010-03-03 09:55:49
Re: prefs.yaml
mike
Digsby Developer

carbonize wrote:

No Splash Screen At Startup

Code:

startup:
    splash: no

I'm not so sure this one actually works. thanks for making the collection though.

#3 2010-03-03 10:58:14
carbonize
Super Power User

Well it's as good a start as any to my prefs.yaml PHP script. I might even start writing some of the code this year. I was going to write a program to do it but last time I programmed was about 10 years ago using Delphi 6.

BTW might be worth stickying this.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#4 2010-03-04 16:40:51
Dave
Super Power User

http://wiki.digsbies.org/index.php/Tweaks

I've started putting some of this information on the wiki, perhaps it would be better if this kind of thing lived there?

Last edited by Dave (2010-03-04 22:07:05)

#5 2010-03-07 17:02:17
carbonize
Super Power User

OK I finally got off my arse and started work on a PHP script to generate the prefs.yaml for people. You can find it at the alpha version at http://carbonize.co.uk/Digsby/ but at present it does not generate the actual yaml file for you to download.

Things to do:
Make it generate the prefs.yaml file to download
Explain how to get to the folder to put it in (%APPDATA%/Digsby/)
Clean up code and put all JavaScript in one file
Maybe add more images

Please note you will need to have JavaScript enabled to use the sliders but I may remove them yet and just use either a standard text input or dropdown list.

C a r b o n i z e

#6 2010-03-08 08:37:54
carbonize
Super Power User

OK done some updating and now it will let you download or display your prefs.yaml and gives instructions on where to place it.

All feedback welcome.

C a r b o n i z e

#7 2010-03-08 11:48:11
kaot
Super Power User

perhaps it's just me, but i think there are some "want"s missing, like in

Do you Digsby to close when you click the close button?

Besides this it looks fine, I don't see (known) features missing.

#8 2010-03-08 12:07:32
Aaron
Digsby Developer

Awesome work carbonize, I like what your doing with the screenshots showing exactly what things do.

Should put a warning on sidetabs though, that can cause certain use cases to error out and could lockup the IM Window, and possibly Digsby entirely, requiring the process to be killed.

I'm the one that draws pretty pictures on the screen! (AKA a GUI Dev)
Digsbies.org is currently semi-functional, hopefully it will rise again! Stay tuned!
Talk to us on IRC: #digsby on irc.freenode.org
I has a twitter: @Brok3n_Halo
#9 2010-03-08 12:11:17
carbonize
Super Power User

Ah a couple of mistakes but fixed them now.

C a r b o n i z e

#10 2010-03-08 12:16:01
carbonize
Super Power User

Yeah I was going to mention that sidetabs was experimental.

I have a question about a few other settings if a dev has the time.

1 - merge_metacontact_history This work?
2 - Under notifications you have quiet_time? What's that?
3 - Also under notifications what is the editor and what are the options.

C a r b o n i z e

#11 2010-03-08 12:29:29
Aaron
Digsby Developer

1. I don't think this is ready yet, it's a work in progress for a future feature.

2. This may not be used anymore, it was a delay between when a protocol connected and notifications started showing. This was used way back when we first launched to compensate for knowing the difference between a buddy signing on or if your still just getting your initial Buddy List statuses after you sign on. I think we found better solutions for everything though and that's just a legacy pref.

3. That refers to the Events section of the Notifications tab in preferences. There is another option for a different style view but it's completely broken now. I think it was only used for a temporary view until we got the current one up and running in pre-release builds.

I'm the one that draws pretty pictures on the screen! (AKA a GUI Dev)
Digsbies.org is currently semi-functional, hopefully it will rise again! Stay tuned!
Talk to us on IRC: #digsby on irc.freenode.org
I has a twitter: @Brok3n_Halo
#12 2010-03-08 14:07:55
chris
Digsby Developer

carbonize wrote:

1 - merge_metacontact_history This work?

No, this is still broken.

closed topic w/ link == punBB doesn't have merge.
#13 2010-03-08 14:08:55
carbonize
Super Power User

OK done a quick redesign to make it look more like the Digsby site and I have added a disclaimer about the page not being affiliated with, nor endorsed by, dotSyntax.

I should of asked earlier but I take it I do have your official permission to use the Digsby logo.

C a r b o n i z e

#14 2010-05-28 10:32:47
scop

Hi, does this tool only work when installing the application for the first time, as mentioned at http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=25791#p25791 or will it work anytime after restarting the app?

That link suggests that the prefs.yaml file only works pre-install, and that one needs to edit the digsbylocal.ini instead, just trying to find out if this is still the case.

TIA.  smile

#15 2010-05-28 11:13:35
carbonize
Super Power User

The prefs.yaml file is to be used after installation. If nothing else the folder you need to put it in doesn't even exist until you have installed Digsby. In fact I'm not sure it even exists until you have installed Digsby and then logged in at least once.

C a r b o n i z e

#16 2010-05-28 16:15:17
kaot
Super Power User

to be exact: on Win7 the optimal time to work on the prefs.yaml is between installation and first start.

#17 2010-05-28 18:33:32
carbonize
Super Power User

But it can be changed any time you want after that as Digsby will load it and respect it's settings at each run.

C a r b o n i z e

#18 2010-05-29 07:39:11
kaot
Super Power User

can't confirm that... i had to work on the .ini for the history-path change to work.

#19 2010-05-30 04:11:35
scop

That's why I was confused by the reply at the link I posted before.  I take it from what you guys said that that post was only referring to one particular setting and not all of them?

Also it suggests at http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=26395#p26395 that this issue is not exclusive to Windows 7, is that correct still?  I have both XP and W7 so would like to know.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

PS It is rather inconvenient not having a subscription function on this discussion board! wink Is there an RSS feed at least?

Last edited by scop (2010-05-30 04:13:41)

#20 2010-05-30 05:26:50
carbonize
Super Power User

scop wrote:

PS It is rather inconvenient not having a subscription function on this discussion board! wink Is there an RSS feed at least?

Funnily enough I asked the same thing. http://forum.digsby.com/extern.php?type … ion=active is the feed for any new posts in the forum. This version of punBB doesn't seem to be a per thread feed though.

http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?id=5847

C a r b o n i z e

Pages: 1 2 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved