Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby

New installer...

#61 2008-12-08 12:07:47
Re: New installer...
Hidari

Last three people.. There are links scattered all over the forum to the non-ad infested installer as well as filehippo and download.com hosting it (not positive about download.com) use that installer instead.

Also would like to suggest having a forum thread stickied with where to get the no ad installer to reduce these kind of posts, at least then they would see it more often and realize that they have an option.

#62 2008-12-08 12:16:10
bwat47

yeah I just found the link to the regular installer. they really need to ditch this piece of crap new installer it is WAY overkill. there are better ways of making money, and destroying your reputation certainly won't further that goal.

#63 2008-12-08 13:32:54
steve
Digsby Developer

@bwat47: There are other ways of making money and we are certainly open to all suggestions:

http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=16071

#64 2008-12-08 15:09:50
Lazybones

The new installer left me confused whether I had successfully opted out or if I had piles of crap ware monitoring my browsing.

That is really bad!

#65 2008-12-08 15:15:36
mike
Digsby Developer

Did you click decline? then you opted out. it's pretty clear...

#66 2008-12-08 17:41:48
Lazybones

Decline was disabled, all I could do was hit cancel or Accept. So I hit cancel then it displayed another screen that had digsby checked  that again allowed me to cancel or continue.

#67 2008-12-08 18:00:22
steve
Digsby Developer

That was page 1 - you can't really decline installing Digsby.  When you click "Accept" to accept the Digsby terms of service and install it you are then presented with the offers and can decline them there.

#68 2008-12-08 18:01:26
mike
Digsby Developer

that was discussed earlier.

#69 2008-12-09 01:44:38
Lazybones

steve wrote:

That was page 1 - you can't really decline installing Digsby.  When you click "Accept" to accept the Digsby terms of service and install it you are then presented with the offers and can decline them there.

Page one the last line above the buttons reads

I Understand by clicking "Accept I am agreeing to the InstallQ Terms and Condition and privacy Policy.

So unless you speak some other form of English, this tells me that page one, step one is accepting the InstallQ ADWARE NOT accepting Digsby. Hence the confusion.

I know you guys want to make money but the wording in this installer makes it seem like I can't opt out.

Last edited by Lazybones (2008-12-09 01:44:49)

#70 2008-12-09 09:07:57
steve
Digsby Developer

I completely understand what you mean.  InstallIQ is the installer and you are basically consenting to be shown ads during the installation process. Unfortunately, the TOS for the installer are rolled into the TOS for all the other products the company offers besides their installer.  So, there are things like "we will ask you personal" information which neither we or the installer actually does.  We're talking to them about splitting the TOS apart so the installer terms are clear and you aren't reading the TOS for some other application.

#71 2008-12-14 20:34:43
AlaninMontreal

Under the previous installation package, users were able to determine the installation directory.  I can no longer do that.  Since I work on an office computer with no admin rights, I could not install in the "Program Files" folder, but I could choose to put it in "My Documents" and it worked fine. With this new and inferior installation package, I can no longer do that. So I've just uninstalled Digsby and can no longer reinstall it.

Boy what a dumb decision it was to move to this new installation package.  It's a loser.  I can no longer use and promote Digsby.  What stupidity!

I've just downloaded and am working with Pidgin

Last edited by AlaninMontreal (2008-12-14 21:01:36)

#72 2008-12-14 22:33:29
chris
Digsby Developer

AlaninMontreal wrote:

Under the previous installation package, users were able to determine the installation directory.  I can no longer do that.  Since I work on an office computer with no admin rights, I could not install in the "Program Files" folder, but I could choose to put it in "My Documents" and it worked fine. With this new and inferior installation package, I can no longer do that. So I've just uninstalled Digsby and can no longer reinstall it.

Boy what a dumb decision it was to move to this new installation package.  It's a loser.  I can no longer use and promote Digsby.  What stupidity!

I've just downloaded and am working with Pidgin

http://update.digsby.com/install/digsby_setup.exe

been posted elswhere.

closed topic w/ link == punBB doesn't have merge.
#73 2008-12-15 00:19:19
AlaninMontreal

Thank you for posting the link.  I will try again.  May I suggest that you offer the user either option when they opt to download. 

Others have suggested that this link is "all over the forums" but I didn't see it and didn't know to look for it.

Thanks!

#74 2008-12-16 18:48:04
butch81385

On a semi-related note I was able to download the installer, but running it said that I was not connected to the internet or that my firewall was blocking it...  I turned off my firewall with no luck.  After clicking "close" Freeze.com attempted to open, but seemed to be blocked by default by my IE (which I never use and did not use to download the installer and is not my default).  The link you posted above DID work, and I am glad as I have heard good things about the program.  So, even if you don't care about the users' opinions on the ridiculous spyware/toolbars, be careful that on a relatively stock version of IE (I don't remember ever changing any settings as I hate IE) the installer would not work because of freeze.com...

#75 2008-12-17 09:07:41
notfuzzi

The funny thing is how they talk about how you can very easily "opt-out" of the extra "options", but think about your moms or friends that aren't apt enough to post on the digsby forum.  Do you think if they installed it, they would pay attention enough to decline the spyware?  They would plow through it and get infected... then probably call you to remove it. 

When you tell someone how to install something, don't you normally say "Just download it, run it, and click next a bunch of times".  You can't do that anymore.  This bundled installed preys on people who either don't read, or don't have enough computer knowledge to know that they are adware and spyware.  I am again disappointed by the developers, and this has solidified the fact that this program is going downhill very quickly.

Last edited by notfuzzi (2008-12-17 09:07:59)

#76 2008-12-17 15:25:02
GrinningMidget

after reading over this thread and being entertained with peoples greed (its free you know... as in didn't cost you anything... as in you didn't pay for it) i thought i'd give the installer a try.

i put on my r-tard helmet to help me think like the average renob, and then fired up the installer. i'll sum up my experience:

1. open the installer.
2. accept the license agreement (you know, the magical page you can't "decline"). i can't speak for anyone else but i've personally never seen a software package that allows you to continue an install if you decline a lic agreement.
3. click through about 5 or 6 ads for toolbars you probably don't want unless you work in my company, in which case you'll undoubtedly click on all of them.
4. plugged in my existing account info.
5. continued using digsby as i ALWAYS have.

wtf is the big deal? you guys seriously need to put on your big girl panties and stfu.

sorry to be hostile, but i call it like i see it.

how sad this is my first posting here, and already i'll be hated smile

Last edited by GrinningMidget (2008-12-17 15:28:52)

#77 2008-12-17 16:07:01
amiracle

Wow, I must say I'm shocked.

As an IT professional, I feel ashamed I ever recommended digsby... it's shallow to even allow the OPTION of installing spyware/adware.

There's gotta be better way to make revenue... I sure would have paid $XX/year to use digsby. 

Ah well...

#78 2008-12-17 20:03:19
Pikarya
Power User

GrinningMidget wrote:

stuff

Typical whining will always be apparent. Not just here on the Digsby Forums, but on any app's site if opinions/commenting is allowed.

The new installer, its such a big problem though. You see, most of these people only bother to see half-way on the issue. Which easily explains the type of person/user they are.

The program is free. The add-ons within the installer can be disabled if the user selects, (It only takes a small of reading comprehension to understand this). And the team works diligently daily to give us updates and fixes.

But once again, you see. Thats not good enough for some people, even IT Professionals.

#79 2008-12-17 20:27:33
seth2958

Let me first say that I have become a Digsby fan very quickly, but just now when I downloaded Digsby from the home site to install on another computer, I was absolutely shocked when there were 4 or 5 offers to install additional software (advertising-oriented) on my machine.

Now, I understand that the user can simply select "cancel," but the point is that this makes Digsby appear to have a shady side to it. Having so much advertising thrown at you is annoying, plus for the people who unknowingly install all this software, they are going to have a significant amount of resources taken up on their machine.

So Digsby, please find another model for advertising dollars. Many others exist. If not, I believe you will frustrate a lot of users (like me) and lose a lot of momentum (and potential users).

Personally, I'd rather pay for the software than be blasted with so many advertisements to install what is in my opinion bloatware on my machine.

#80 2008-12-17 22:52:52
Boofo
Power User

Pikarya wrote:

GrinningMidget wrote:

stuff

Typical whining will always be apparent. Not just here on the Digsby Forums, but on any app's site if opinions/commenting is allowed.

The new installer, its such a big problem though. You see, most of these people only bother to see half-way on the issue. Which easily explains the type of person/user they are.

The program is free. The add-ons within the installer can be disabled if the user selects, (It only takes a small of reading comprehension to understand this). And the team works diligently daily to give us updates and fixes.

But once again, you see. Thats not good enough for some people, even IT Professionals.

You all talk like everyone that downloads and installs Digsby should be well-versed in all of this. Stop to think of the time when you didn't know squat about computers and installing software and then you might be able to put yourself in the position of someone who doesn't realize you don't need to install the spyware from the installer to install Digsby. Stop being a "fanboy" for just a minute and realize we are not all as well read and intelligent as you are.

Last edited by Boofo (2008-12-17 22:53:15)

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved