Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Announcements » How to become an alpha tester.

How to become an alpha tester.

#1 2008-12-17 23:53:35
How to become an alpha tester.
chris
Digsby Developer

Please read this blog post if you're not yet an alpha tester and would like to be.

If you're not comfortable running the bleeding edge build of Digsby, please consider carefully before becoming an alpha tester.  If it doesn't sound fun, just stay where you are and wait for the beta (public) releases.

While our public releases (public betas) are generally stable, and we try to catch critical bugs before releasing an alpha, we depend on the alpha testers to submit bug reports with useful descriptions so that we can fix anything we missed before declaring a beta.

A note on what we mean by alpha/beta:
Alpha is considered unproven/possibly unstable.  Depending on the number of bug reports we get from alpha testers, we may or may not decide that the build is stable enough.  If the build is considered stable, we may push it to everyone.  If you want the bleeding edge, this is just a sliver away from the code sitting on our dev machines.

Beta is generally more stable/complete/feature rich than the previous beta.  It's the best we have so far without most of the bugs detected w/ the alpha, and the newest build we're really going to pay attention to bugs from (other than the current alpha, if there is one).

Most of the important builds are announced on the blog, beta (public builds) usually get a message of the day or even an all-announce to everyone.  Minor fixes are usually updates to the blog.

P.S.  I'm posting this here, because I think it will survive better than the blog post.

Last edited by chris (2008-12-28 18:16:39)

closed topic w/ link == punBB doesn't have merge.
#2 2009-03-21 22:17:49
Re: How to become an alpha tester.
chris
Digsby Developer

see also:

http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2746

closed topic w/ link == punBB doesn't have merge.
Pages: 1 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved