Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Feature Requests » Make it portable! (in the thumb drive sense of the word)

Make it portable! (in the thumb drive sense of the word)

#81 2009-02-23 10:42:57
Re: Make it portable! (in the thumb drive sense of the word)
hamstermoon

Tried to use that anthonyng and it unzipped to 43% and then stuck!

#82 2009-03-20 15:29:05
poisonberry17

This is a bit off topic, but reaching back a few posts...
Digsby DOES now work on Wine. I have the latest Wine Beta on an installation of Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10) and it works great. The only odd thing is that the little pop up messages are surrounded by large black boxes, so they are about doubled in size.
As for portable, the U3 version does indeed work, and that portable version from 2 posts ago, I'm still downloading. I found it easier to just disable logs in portable rather than change where they're stored (like I mentioned earlier). I don't keep history in my portable FF installation either, so...

EDIT: I did use the standalone installer on my Wine installation- don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited by poisonberry17 (2009-03-20 15:38:50)

#83 2009-03-20 15:32:00
poisonberry17

@hamstermoon: It stuck on 43% for me for a minute too, but then it seemed to continue.
It would seem that that is just a digsby installation plus a file (digsbyloader.exe) so it seems pretty efficient at this point.
I just dragged and dropper it in the PortableApps folder in my flash drive, and it shows up in the menu as Digsby Portable Mod. It runs great, everything works... Now I just need to test in on a computer that DOESN'T already have Digsby installed, and see how that works out.

Last edited by poisonberry17 (2009-03-20 15:54:53)

#84 2009-03-30 03:46:40
eia
Super Power User

Unofficial portable version gets updated: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/03/27 … available/

Last edited by eia (2009-03-30 03:52:44)

... and now for something completely different

The digsby Wishlist | digsby themes | Community maintained wiki
#85 2009-05-29 09:35:07
Darrow

mike wrote:

The app itself is self-contained (i.e. you can move the directory out of program files and it should still work with no modifications) but we do cache, log, and otherwise store things on your filesystem, usually in the user folder (c:\documents and settings\username\...).

But then its not self contained is it?
It would have to write the data files in its own directory (remember, like windows used to be before microsoft thought it was a good idea to place all data in the same place)

#86 2009-05-29 11:43:22
mike
Digsby Developer

It's self contained in the sense that it doesn't require certain registry settings or DLLs to be registered or any of that nonsense. It runs no matter where it is regardless of it was installed "properly" or not. Try copying MS Office to a different hard drive and see if it runs (I know it wouldn't a few years ago... maybe they've made it better?).

#87 2009-06-10 23:42:57
manola

I am never sure which computer I'll be on at work at any given day
sonnerie portable gratuite

#88 2009-07-02 14:53:02
madcow41

Hi there. I really want a Portable Edition of Digsby. But hey, those guys does a really awesome work and have other things to do now... So I've wrote a solution, inspired of Carsten Knobloch work.

For now, I think it needs Beta Testers and suggestions. Everything can be found here : http://www.mcsoft.online.fr/madcow/?-Di … able-.html

Last edited by madcow41 (2009-07-02 16:50:22)

#89 2009-07-23 20:27:54
Dreamer

+1

#90 2009-09-30 07:07:26
grahamft

mike wrote:

It's self contained in the sense that it doesn't require certain registry settings or DLLs to be registered or any of that nonsense. It runs no matter where it is regardless of it was installed "properly" or not. Try copying MS Office to a different hard drive and see if it runs (I know it wouldn't a few years ago... maybe they've made it better?).

The definition of "Portable" requires that "nothing be left behind on the Host computer after the app is closed..." so clearly, as currently designed, Digsby is not portable if simply moved to a thumb drive.

The friggs to the default.yaml file above look promising but I noticed a new post today from a member stating that since the latest update the changes to this file to relocate the appdata files no longer works.  No one has yet replied to that one.

I too would like to see a truly portable version of Digsby but shan't be porting it to my PortableApps thumb drive until I'm sure it works.

#91 2009-10-15 06:32:33
BjarkiMTB

I used VMware ThinApp (http://thinstall.com) to make the newest version of Digsby portable successfully!
I'm running it right now off my iPod and have still not had any trouble with it.

#92 2009-10-15 13:31:40
grahamft

BjarkiMTB wrote:

I used VMware ThinApp (http://thinstall.com) to make the newest version of Digsby portable successfully!
I'm running it right now off my iPod and have still not had any trouble with it.

I'm sure it works but the problem is that it adds yet another layer between the app and the platform.  This simply shouldn't be necessary.  Digsby should be able to run native on a portable drive without having to install it in a virtual environment.

#93 2009-10-26 23:35:56
ltGuillaume

madcow41 wrote:

Hi there. I really want a Portable Edition of Digsby. But hey, those guys does a really awesome work and have other things to do now... So I've wrote a solution, inspired of Carsten Knobloch work.

For now, I think it needs Beta Testers and suggestions. Everything can be found here : http://www.mcsoft.online.fr/madcow/?-Di … able-.html

Gotta say, had a look through the source code and I’m really impressed. This is very nicely done, taking most possible situations into account and I really like the use of ’just’ batch files. Makes it very readable for me (nice one on how to extract the My Documents path!).

Although this portable workaround obviously shouldn’t be necessary at all, it’s only a very small thing for the Digsby developers to add, but it’s definitely the best of three portable Digsby solutions I’ve seen (the others being : http://rapidshare.com/files/235483474/D … _En.paf.ex e (PortableAppz - was this posted here before???) and http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/portable-digsby-build-67/ (Caschy - the download is just in English, no worries).

#94 2009-11-03 09:07:31
grahamft

Just installed madcow41's PortableDigsby on my USB thumb drive and it works a treat.

Very simply to set up.  Just create a new folder, say, Digsby Portable under the PortableApps directory, (assuming you're using the PortableApps platform) and copy to it the DigsbyPortableSetup.exe file downloaded from the link above.  Then just run it from there.  That's it; that's all you have to do.

The setup program will copy across the Digsby folder and sub-folders from your C: drive Program Files and create a DigsbyPortable.exe file in the Digsby Portable folder, which launches Digsby.  When you run it it copies the contents of the Digsby folders in the Documents and Settings Local Settings > Application Data into 7-Zip compressed archives on the USB thumb drive, from which they will be used in future sessions.

It's all driven, it seems, by compiled batch files so you will get terminal windows telling you what's going on, but none the worse for that.

I'm impressed.  Until the Digsby Developers produce a official portable version, I'm quite happy to use this.  It does what it says on the tin!

#95 2010-05-19 16:25:28
Gods_Redkneck

Can Some one Tell Me how to remove accounts From a Portable Version I have one that i use well with that www.PortableApps.com Client but never thought to back it up before i started useing it. so i cant upload it till i make shur all my Data is Gone from it.

#96 2010-09-03 20:43:49
darkguy

I don't think that's something to be answered here, but in the portableapps.com site.

Still, any words on this issue? if Digsby goes portable, it'd totally beat the hell out of Trillian big_smile

#97 2010-09-04 04:33:05
carbonize
Super Power User

portableapps.com only works with open source software if memory serves. Only way to run Digsby portably would be using a wrapper of some sort.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#98 2010-09-08 11:07:47
colonelyumyum

carbonize wrote:

portableapps.com only works with open source software if memory serves. Only way to run Digsby portably would be using a wrapper of some sort.

Portableapps.com have changed in the last few months to allow freeware as well. They've recently added:
Skpe, uTorrent, Google chrome and Foxit reader.

I definitely think digsby would make a brilliant addition, as they currently only have PChat and Pidgin.

I've been using it portably for a while now and love it. The only downside is that I can't set it to store chat history on my thumb drive instead of the default location.

Just my 2 cents!

#99 2010-10-21 19:31:13
SaintlyMic

I started to try to install a portable version that was mentioned in this thread.
That EXE wanted to only patch an already installed version of Digsby.
I, of course, do NOT have the regular Digsby installed, so I canceled the attempted patch.
(I am in the process of restoring my PC, so I have not reinstalled Digsby, yet.
I was waiting until I could possibly find a portable version of Digsby, but since I cannot find a trusted portable version of Digsby I can now go ahead with installing the regular version of Digsby.)

What would have been patched if I had continued with the patch?
Is it possible that the so called portable version was going to try to hijack an already installed version of Digsby?
I believe so!

So, my conclusions are this ...
There are no trusted versions of Digsby other than the regular Digsby that installs to a regular hard drive, and a U3 version of Digsby, which is portable, but can only be used on a U3 drive.
I erased my U3 software from my thumb drive, so I cannot use the U3 version.

Until Digsby makes a portable version I suggest that you do NOT trust any other so called portable version of Digsby!
Only a portable version made by Digsby should be trusted.

Hopefully, in the future, PortableApps.com and Digsby will work together to bring about a truly portable version of Digsby.
Until Digsby, or someone endorsed by Digsby, makes a genuinely portable version I suggest to you that you only use the regular version of Digsby offered on the Digsby website!

#100 2011-02-11 10:45:46
mike
Digsby Developer

Hey guys- the time has finally come!

Our latest alpha installer includes the option to install in portable mode. You can get it here: http://update.digsby.com/install/digsby_setup_alpha.exe

Note: If you are creating a new installation of Digsby or overwriting a previous install that was not set as "alpha", you will get an update shortly after you start the app.

How it works:
Basically there's a list of standard paths that are set in the app at startup (some through environment variables but others are retrieved via standard windows functions). When you have the "portable" option selected during install it puts another file in the res/ directory, called portable.yaml. It contains the new locations for the app to use when looking up standard paths.

Note that this does not follow U3, PortableApps, etc., in any way. The reason we decided on this method is because the requirements to make Digsby portable were minimal. No APIs or toolkits of any sort were necessary. We also feel that this gives users more choice by not requiring that they use a certain portable app ecosystem.

Adventurous users can also use this file (res/portable.yaml) to customize how their Digsby install works in a non-USB stick install. For example, the stock file includes a commented out entry for "temp" because we decided it would be best to not write to USB sticks for data that belongs in temp (e.g., clipboard images for file transfer, the application log file). You might want to direct Digsby to use a different folder if you're interested in poking at some of those files.

My apologies for how long this took - there were some minor kinks to be worked out and lots of testing to be done, and this project often wasn't our top priority.

Anyway, let us know if you run into any trouble using the program in this way. As always, the best option is to submit a bug report from the help menu.

Pages: 1 … 3 4 5 6 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved