Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Customizing » What is the point for digsby to setup MSN emoticins?

What is the point for digsby to setup MSN emoticins?

#1 2009-03-09 10:46:32
What is the point for digsby to setup MSN emoticins?
SL

I found that digsby unlike other MSN client, it will not send out emoticons graphic file to the other side but only the text symbol-string,  so your friends will never see your emoticons unless they have exactly the same graphic/symbol-string pair of emoticons setup in their side as yours!  So I would like to ask what is the point for people to setup custom emoticons for digsby because you yourself is the only one who will see the emoticons, the other side will only see the translation to their own set of graphic file or else simply the text symbol-string if no match pair in their side.

#2 2009-03-09 11:14:36
Re: What is the point for digsby to setup MSN emoticins?
mike
Digsby Developer

I'm pretty sure that's how every client *except* for MSN works, so this shouldn't be that surprising. We haven't gotten around to sending custom emoticons over MSN yet, and I don't expect there to be much effort put towards it for quite a while.

#3 2009-03-09 19:54:56
SL

I understood your argument... However, the fact is that even Microsoft official client will send out custom emoticons in addition to the default set. I believe 99% of the other MSN client alternatives do this, isn't it strange for digsby being the 1% exceptional? For many IM users, the ability of clients being able to send out custom emotions is a very important evaluation factor.  That is my original question, if custom emoticons never send out by digsby, why on earth digsby allow the setup of custom emoticons set?  Why not simply implement it or else drop it but don't give the false impression to your users?  I wonder how well digsby users know about this fact and many of them still expecting their friends will see what they used...

#4 2009-03-09 20:02:35
mike
Digsby Developer

I would expect that everyone who has ever used something besides MSN would not think their emoticons are being sent to their friends. It's not implied anywhere that Digsby sends your emoticons to your contacts.

Additionally, multiple emoticon sets are only supported unofficially so I'm not even sure why you're complaining about an incomplete feature.

#5 2009-04-10 02:43:50
Jcouture

It is quite a mistake to consider that only MSN send out the custom smileys. In fact, I'm constantly in search of a new IM software cause I have 5 accounts to connect.

I can tell you that MSN, AMSN, KMESS, Kopete and Pidgin does send smileys.

Kmess, Kopete and Pidgin are very nice open source programs from which you could learn. The only problem is that Kmess and Kopete are programmed in Qt and Pidgin is in GTK when you use Python.

Personnaly, I would use Kopete (best one imho) but it doesn't have Facebook and Twitter integration and it can't be installed on Windows, only for Linux.

#6 2009-04-10 10:38:30
mike
Digsby Developer

i meant the MSN IM network, not the client. i realize i specifically said 'client' in my first post but that was a mistake ;-p

#7 2011-01-05 17:47:55
gallinazo

I just wanna add my vote for the implementation of msn kind "smileys" on digsby, the default set is not...quite...great or enough, and the option to have better/ customized & even animated smileys, would be great & a must.

#8 2011-02-06 22:44:16
SL

It has been 2 years since I requested and digsby continue ignore to implement this feature... what a joke is that today I see advertisement of custom emoticons below digsby IM chat window... May I ask why you guys accept AD from custom emoticons compony while your application does not implement it?

Last edited by SL (2011-02-06 22:44:43)

#9 2011-02-07 05:23:45
carbonize
Super Power User

The advertisement you see are for third party apps and do not use MSN's native custom emoticon functionality. They require that both parties have their software installed and the program then replaces what is in the message with the emoticon from it's database.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#10 2011-04-10 16:02:20
pima cotton

i have not developed any bug, but trying much to create a emocation for MSN And hope will release soon

Pages: 1 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved