Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Customizing » Need help with custom sounds and prefs.yaml

Need help with custom sounds and prefs.yaml

#1 2010-11-22 21:23:15
Need help with custom sounds and prefs.yaml
jseger9000

I'm a little lost. What exactly do I need to enter in prefs.yaml to change sounds?

Looking through defaults.yaml as a template, there was no mention of which sounds to use. In the sounds folder, there is a sounds.yaml. Do I need to put a sounds.yaml in the roaming\digsby\sounds folder?

And why can't we just change sounds/skins/etc from within Digsby? That's my one major gripe with this otherwise exceptional program.

#2 2010-11-30 19:18:36
Re: Need help with custom sounds and prefs.yaml
jseger9000

No response?

Can I get some help please? I have searched the forums and had no luck. I've also posted a very similar request in the "Put customizations in your user directory" thread but no response there either.

If there is a thread that answers this, then maybe a link to that thread? Any help is appreciated.

#3 2010-12-01 10:14:20
mike
Digsby Developer

the layout of a sound set is very similar to a skin.

Code:

sounds/
  setname/
    sounds.yaml
    sound1.wav
    sound2.wav
    soundN.wav

currently the only set name supported is "default". the "sounds" directories are loaded from the digsby directory in your roaming app data folder (next to the emoticons, skins, etc. folders), the equivalent location for "all users", and the digsby install directory*.

sounds.yaml is fairly simple file that pairs event names to filenames (relative to the sound set's directory).

sound sets are loaded 'lazily' - i.e. not until a sound is needed to be played. however, once a sound has been played, the set is not ever loaded again. you'll have to restart digsby to get the set to be reloaded.

the individual sound files can be called whatever you want, so long as the names in sounds.yaml match the filenames. i believe the only supported format is wave audio.

* of course, changes made here will be overwritten by the updater

#4 2010-12-14 01:59:26
jseger9000

Just to make sure I am clear...

I would open prefs.yaml and enter:

sounds/
  setname/
    sounds.yaml

and then go to my "Sounds" folder located at roaming\digsby\sounds and create a duplicate Sounds.yaml like the one in the regular program folder, but with my customized sound files listed.

Is that correct?

#5 2011-12-04 11:17:28
Aiko

Thanks for the information. I think I finally figured this out! I enjoy customizing everything, even my sounds. You all should hear the sounds that I am using in Digsby. I have the audio running out to my yamaha receivers and it sounds really awesome! I am having a lot of fun with this custom sound stuff!

Last edited by Aiko (2011-12-11 11:43:36)

Pages: 1 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved