Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby

Sound Customization?

#1 2009-09-17 11:58:59
Sound Customization?
Dropped.on.Japan

I was wondering if there was a way to create your own custom sound set for Digsby.  You see, I work from home and use instant messenger as a primary means of communication.  The problem is, the sounds you use for Digsby are too quite and cute to wake me up!  I need to be able to sleep in without people knowing, dammit!  tongue

But seriously though, it would be ultra helpful to be able to create a sound set so that when I'm managing to sneak in a few hours of sleep, it would play an alarm or some other jarring sound whenever someone messages me.  I need set up as a sound set because I don't want to hear a jackhammer or alarm clock every time someone sends me a message.  I saw that you had a custom skinning guide, but I wasn't able to locate a sound set setup guide, faq, or anything along those lines.

tl;dr
Is there a way to manually create a sound set?

Thanks for any help I can get!

#2 2009-09-17 12:14:15
Re: Sound Customization?
carbonize
Super Power User

If you look in C:\Program Files\Digsby\res\sounds\default (might be different on your machine) you will see sounds.yaml.

Just put your sounds in that folder (not sure if Digsby supports anything other than wav files) and then edit the yaml file. Just make a backup though as Digsby has this stupid habit of replacing everything when it updates even stuff that has not been updated.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#3 2009-09-17 14:30:06
Dropped.on.Japan

I see how it's set up and everything, so thanks.  Looking through the preferences I'm not seeing any way of loading alternate yaml files.  Is there any doing this within Digsby?  I could write a script that could change that file if nothing else.

The next question would obviously be can I rename the yaml file while Digsby is running, or is that something that is loaded in memory when it is launched?

#4 2009-09-17 14:56:52
carbonize
Super Power User

At a guess it's loaded at startup.

C a r b o n i z e

Any opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of dotSyntax.
#5 2009-09-17 15:09:51
Dropped.on.Japan

Yeah, but it really could be either way.  If it is loaded into memory, it must have some way of reloading that file into memory, but it could also just look at the file each time a sound would be played (as defined in the Digsby preferences). 

This also brings up the question of if I change the yaml files to only play sounds for instant messages in one yaml file and in the other have sounds play for other events (such as Twitter, Facebook, etc.), if that will be recognized as needing for that sound to be played.

I'm interested in what the developers have to say on this topic.

#6 2009-09-17 16:08:04
mike
Digsby Developer

it's loaded at startup.

unfortunately the only way to use a custom sound set at the moment is as carbonize described (changing the contents of the sounds/default folder), and yes it will be overwritten on the next digsby update. at some point in the future they'll be loaded from various places on disk like emoticons, skins, and message styles are... and the sound set will be selectable from somewhere in preferences. unfortunately, i have no ETA for this, sorry =/

hope that helps.

#7 2009-09-17 16:39:59
Dropped.on.Japan

Yeah, that clears up a few things.  I can still write up a sound set selector of sorts, it will just require a restart of Digsby whenever I want to switch the audio profile around (which in all likelihood is once or twice a day).  Once I hack up a script that works, I'll add it to this topic so that others that want to slack at work (or want to have a way of changing between sound sets on the fly) can have some sort of reference to get their own sounds working.

Oh, and Mike, nice work for both you and the rest of the dev team. Thanks for making Digsby as badass as it is.  I appreciate it.  big_smile

#8 2009-09-18 16:30:21
Devoldo

Just thought Id pop in to say that Ive customized my sounds via sounds.yaml, but the HUGE issue is, whenever there is an update for Digsby, the sounds.yaml file is overwritten obviously.

I would love some option in the preferences so that I can change the sounds to what I please (take AIM for example) and can browse my computer for any .wav file. That way, I no longer need to edit, or paste a backup into the sounds directory after each little update.

Last edited by Devoldo (2009-09-18 16:31:33)

#9 2009-09-18 16:44:38
mike
Digsby Developer

mike wrote:

at some point in the future they'll be loaded from various places on disk like emoticons, skins, and message styles are... and the sound set will be selectable from somewhere in preferences.

#10 2009-09-22 05:36:49
russo

please can someone explain how the sounds.yaml is customised? I'm trying to get my MSN sounds on to Digsby. Thanks

#11 2012-11-30 19:20:01
imtooler59

When attempting to customize my Sounds.yaml file after editing it, it won't allow me to save the changes, how do I make these changes to the file?

Pages: 1 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved