Spread the Word | Create Account | My Account  
digsby
Location: Forum Home » Feature Requests » Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback

Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback

#41 2008-04-02 19:38:52
Re: Attention Skype Users - Need Feedback
FeHCk6Ib

christophr wrote:

Although I understand the argument against having Skype running in the background, I think that having (legit) access to its API is worth it. This is a for a few reasons:

First, I use Skype /only/ for voicechat. I'm assuming - and correct me if I'm wrong - that a majority of people use the product as such. Hell, I would use Ventrillo if my parents weren't so computer illiterate.

Second, I've heard that breaking the Skype API is difficult. It doesn't make sense to break open the lock if you've already got the key. Skype gives pretty good support for its product in its API, so why waste the effort on keeping one step ahead of their team.

That's my two (Euro)cents anyway.

because so many people will say they don't want to have to run Skype in the background.

#42 2008-04-06 21:03:18
Jacobp
Power User

Reverse engineering the program is illegal. Here's an idea, why would skype have an objection if you said you wanted to make an all in 1 client, why don't you try and make an agreement with them, phone companies did and they got a version of skype for a handset.

#43 2008-04-10 22:42:38
wilsonbytes

I'm all with the quick and dirty way to get things done first - just get Skype out there on Digsby, then go with the flow, if you can get voice and games too later - cool..

It's just more convenient to have a one place to go to for everything.. even if it does not give all of the exact same features - so what?

They could come in slowly, or like many others have suggested if someone initiates a call, then open up skype...

#44 2008-04-13 16:14:42
darundal

Jacobp, where did you get the idea that reverse engineering is illegal?

#45 2008-04-13 22:09:03
mike
Digsby Developer

It may not be illegal but it may be against their ToS and using an 'unauthorized' skype client may not be allowed according to the agreement that lets you use the service. I don't know this for a fact, I'm just saying that Skype users will have to read and follow the Skype EULA.

Also, I hear their voice protocol is damn difficult to reverse engineer.

#46 2008-04-15 12:35:54
joenewell68

Option 2 is better.  I use Digsby so I won't have to have multiple applications running.  However, it seems like my skype contacts would think I was online for a voice call when I wasn't... If I would show up to them as online for chat, but not for voice, then there would be no confusion. 

Thanks for a great product!

#47 2008-04-21 18:15:02
svcbinford

As someone who frequently uses both, I'd settle right now for digsby that meant I could use disby to view my contacts and answer/place calls, regardless of whether its running in the background. I really just want to have to look/click on one place more than I care about CPU usage...

#48 2008-04-29 10:03:47
Mastermind

option 2. but if someone will call, it will be good if original skype will start automaticaly

#49 2008-04-29 14:09:04
kelchm

Yeah, hybrid option is the way to go.

#50 2008-05-03 00:17:18
I-Love-Digsby

The hybrid sounds like the best idea so one more vote there. #1 would be nice to go ahead and get support for the time being with #2 being the ultimate goal. When Digsby detects an incoming call request, it could automatically launch Skype which will pick up the call from there while simultaneously alerting the user so that they have time to prepare.

#51 2008-05-07 09:50:52
orijonl

To echo the sentiments of the majority, I too believe that option 2 would be the best, but I believe it would be best for everyone as long as there is some sort of triggering of the actual Skype client when an incoming call is detected or whenever an outgoing call needs to be made.  I'm a little worried about how long it may take for Digsby to get Skype started and actually accept a call, but perhaps some sort of streamlining can be done, since part of the Skype client will be active anyway?

Those who are using Skype to make a lot of calls really need to have Skype open anyway, so this won't affect them.  But for those of us who only use Skype occasionally to make and receive calls and just really want to be able to see the status of our Skype contacts (with the option to make and receive calls when necessary), Digsby could really make our lives a bit easier.

This option could also really sway consumers away from Trillian or Pidgin and with the help of targeted advertising it could bring masses away from using multiple clients.

#52 2008-05-13 16:58:48
geetjacobs

Option 2 is great.

#53 2008-05-14 13:29:25
PrivateWiddle

Hello,

In my case, I use Skype for IM with another person as it saves us both from having to deal with all our MSN, Google talk and yahoo IM contacts.

This means we IM most of the time and occasionally use voice. Digsby would seem to be just what we need regardless of whether it supports Skype or not (great work!)

If it does support Skype IM my concern would be that when/if we want to initiate a voice conversation, it will be cumbersome to log out of the skype part of Digsby (to avoid multiple login issues) while leaving the other components active and then signing into skype proper for voice.

Skype may not take kindly to your client accessing their voice system anyway and as you have said its bloody complicated to implement.

This may be a silly suggestion (but it would make me happy anyway):

When the user runs Digsby (if they have configured a skype profile), Digsby signs into skype just like the other IM components.  If the user wants voice they press the 'voice' icon.  Digsby would then log them out of the Digsby skype component (leaving the rest of Digsby running as usual) and actually launch Skype itself. Optionally you could have Digsby monitor the Skype process so that if the user closes Skype then Digsby can offer to sign back into the Skype IM component again.

Although this is rather long winded to explain, it could actually work quite seamlessly, allowing people like me to do the majority of their Skype text chat within digsby but providing for voice if necessary but without you, the developer, having to spend ages trying to reverse engineer the Skype voice protocol for what might be a limited amount of users who need it and also avoid Skype getting arsy with you.

Thats my tuppence worth, thanks

Liam

#54 2008-05-20 19:16:41
l2oi3

Let's be practical here, if we cared that fanatically about cpu usage we wouldnt be using digsby. Their API from what i gather is very hard to crack, therefore the only solution is the hybrid. (unless skype for some reason decides to open it up to us)

#55 2008-05-21 11:18:57
Jacobp
Power User

mike wrote:

It may not be illegal but it may be against their ToS and using an 'unauthorized' skype client may not be allowed according to the agreement that lets you use the service. I don't know this for a fact, I'm just saying that Skype users will have to read and follow the Skype EULA.

Also, I hear their voice protocol is damn difficult to reverse engineer.

Some chinese guys did it, u can too smile

#56 2008-05-21 17:45:16
FeHCk6Ib

in my opinion even option 2 is next to impossible to reverse engineer.

Er, any progress?

#57 2008-05-25 15:35:30
dafpoo

I think that it's be best to go with #1. I already have Digsby and Skype running side by side most of the time and it would be nice if they were able to interact. You can move on to a hybrid approach later, but #1 would provide Skype functionality soonest.

#58 2008-05-31 03:08:13
pazu

Because I use my Skype for SkypeOut call a lot, I would definitely still prefer to install the original version of Skype unless you can fully implement all the features of Skype including the VoIP function, which seems to be very difficult at the moment.

So I would go for OPTION 2, and I will use it only when I don't feel like using VoIP but prefer to have an option for friends to contact me via text chat. And I would not choose "auto login".

#59 2008-06-08 00:36:02
flugelhorn

I am in favour of Option 1 because Skype is the main program I use for IM. but I would be happy with either and the sooner the better. Digsby is useless to me without a combatability in some way with Skype

#60 2008-06-12 18:35:20
valkenaar

One vote for hybrid.

Love to have Skype chat access without having to start Skype.

Regarding voice capabilities in Digsby, I'm not sure I'd want the developers to spend time on that nor would I want the product bloat that would come with that capability. Of course, that's another thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 … 15 

Board footer

Copyright © 2007-2009 dotSyntax, LLC.   All Rights Reserved